Coloured chopping boards

batgirl

Veteran
Local time
2:16 AM
Do you use different coloured chopping boards for different foods? I first came across this practise in my husband's restaurant and it is something I have since emloyed at home.

Red for raw meat, yellow for cooked meat, bue for fish and sea food, green for vegetables and white for bread and dairy.

This is better for hygiene, although it does create more washing up!

The only 2 colours I have used in cutting boards are brown, which was a board one, and a white one. The idea of using different boards for different foods does not sound like a bad idea since, as was mentioned here, it would be more hygienic. However, having so many cutting boards would mean needing more storage space also. After preparing a meal there would be more washing up to do too. The most I would go with is two. One could be used for basically meat, while the other one could be used for cutting up bread as well as vegetables.

Last edited:
High risk raw foods use blue for fish red for raw meat yellow for cooked meat green for raw veg white for pastry items , so yes I try to avoid cross contamination

I do the same as you, batgirl. Storage isn't too much of an issue as the boards are relatively thin (they came as a set). I know they aren't the most convenient option but I value the peace of mind they give me.

I don't use colours but I do use different sizes for different items. All my cutting boards are wooden & there is one for smaller fresh foods, larger fresh foods/breads, & raw meats. The raw meats has a side that I carved an M into so I usually cut meat there & seafood on the opposite side. I also replace them within a year, usually, because I cook so much & I had a damaged cutting board. Plastic boards are not my cup of tea.

I would never chop vegetables on a board that has been used for fish or meat. I use a glass chopping board for herbs and vegetables and keep a wooden board only for slicing bread.

You use different knives for different purposes, and should also use different boards or different sides of a board.

Back
Top Bottom