Compost foraging.

Arch

Guru
Local time
8:50 PM
We were helping out at the community allotment this morning and a couple of us noticed that someone had pulled up some sticks of Brussels Sprouts that were starting to go brown at the bottom, and chucked them on the compost heap. But there were plenty of Ok sprouts still at the top of the stems, so we harvested what we could and shared them out. I've cooked them now, and we'll have bubble and squeak for dinner tonight with sausages.

I can remember about 40 years ago walking past a old school sewage bed with tomatoes growing out,I wouldn't touch them like I would not touch any thing growing out my compost bins at the moment full of dirty rats ,never seen rats like it

All plants grow in decayed matter. Be it animal or plant - from horse pig human dog or leaf litter. Some take longer to breakdown and some seem more disgusting [but only to us]. When you eat vegetables you are eating poop.

Does anyone compost here? I had a few questions about the smell. I have close neighbours & I was wondering if that's a big issue? Also, is there a way to 'house' the heap that is better for everyone?

All plants grow in decayed matter. Be it animal or plant - from horse pig human dog or leaf litter. Some take longer to breakdown and some seem more disgusting [but only to us]. When you eat vegetables you are eating poop.

Quite right!

Anyway, by the time the sprouts have been boiled, then fried in bubbles and squeak, they'll have been pretty well sterilsed twice!

Does anyone compost here? I had a few questions about the smell. I have close neighbours & I was wondering if that's a big issue? Also, is there a way to 'house' the heap that is better for everyone?
No smell as such, well no more then leaf mulch.
The problem we have with ours is the face full of fruit flies when the lid is opened. They disperse quickly enough though.

We have leaf mulch right now the leaves were left on the ground during the winter, now that it is warmer out we will start to get them up, I hop a lot of them broke down to little pieces for mulch.

No smell as such, well no more then leaf mulch.
The problem we have with ours is the face full of fruit flies when the lid is opened. They disperse quickly enough though.
Have to agree - an old gardening [and he had been gardening for SO many years] friend I knew once told me that if compost smelt bad you were doing it wrong

Back
Top Bottom