Concern or prying.

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
6:27 AM
On Monday one of our colleagues didn't come into work, he didn't call in, nor was there a holiday sheet.
We were concerned so my boss asked one of the engineers to text him to make sure he was ok. Turns out he had booked a holiday, his sheet had obviously gone amiss-no doubt the FD lost it before or after signing it. He didn't mind because he understood the reasoning.

However this has now started a debate, my boss's reasoning is that the guy is always spot on with everything so his no show was completely out of character. However someone else pointed out it could come across as prying.
I agree with both sides to be honest, it is right to be concerned about your colleagues but maybe we were wrong to question.

Your boss absolutely did the right thing, IMO. I am divorced, and live alone. If something were to happen to me, it could be days before anyone knew of it. If your motive is concern for the well-being of someone, it is certainly appropriate to contact them.

CD

In that instance, I side with your boss. If there's a procedure in place, and the employee's followed it before, and has never expressed irritation with the process, then there's reason for mild concern, and a text is a pretty light intrusion.

On Monday one of our colleagues didn't come into work, he didn't call in, nor was there a holiday sheet.
We were concerned so my boss asked one of the engineers to text him to make sure he was ok. Turns out he had booked a holiday, his sheet had obviously gone amiss-no doubt the FD lost it before or after signing it. He didn't mind because he understood the reasoning.

However this has now started a debate, my boss's reasoning is that the guy is always spot on with everything so his no show was completely out of character. However someone else pointed out it could come across as prying.
I agree with both sides to be honest, it is right to be concerned about your colleagues but maybe we were wrong to question.

Back in the 1990's I had a co-worker who said she didn't want to come in on Monday. Which may well simply be said out of aggravation at some on-job frustrations she was feeling. Our supervisor was out of town himself for a few days.

Monday she didn't show up. We figured she'd e-mailed the supervisor, who was still away.

Tuesday she didn't show up. Her daughter called from Montreal, concerned that she'd not gotten her weekly phone call from her mother.

The department manager got involved and drove to her house. Her car was there but she didn't answer the door. The police came.

She was found murdered in her own home, nothing was taken. Her husband was supposedly away. It still remains a cold case.

YES< get involved.

Last edited:
Back in the 1990's I had a co-worker who said she didn't want to come in on Monday. Which may well simply be said out of aggravation at some on-job frustrations she was feeling. Our supervisor was out of town himself for a few days.

Monday she didn't show up. We figured she'd e-mailed the supervisor, who was still away.

Tuesday she didn't show up. Her daughter called from Montreal, concerned that she'd not gotten her weekly phone call from her mother.

The department manager got involved and drove to her house. Her car was there but she didn't answer the door. The police came.

She was found murdered in her own home, nothing was taken. Her husband was supposedly away. It still remains a cold case.

YES< get involved.
Omg......!

Yes get involved. Might be the only avenue that checks on their welfare.
Our next door neighbor passed away and almost 3 years later we found out. That's how distant everyone is out here in the west.

A good person for caring, we recently had in a halls of residence here a student found dead in his room. Coroner is too frightened to give timelines. 6 to 8 weeks, no concerns from telcos, friends and family. Step father kept leaving messages. It's a big story here. Imagine the mess. No cleaners or anything, no one checking why he never turned up to lectures. His dad just kept getting the bills. No duty of care!!
This story isn't going away.

Russ

A good person for caring, we recently had in a halls of residence here a student found dead in his room. Coroner is too frightened to give timelines. 6 to 8 weeks, no concerns from telcos, friends and family. Step father kept leaving messages. It's a big story here. Imagine the mess. No cleaners or anything, no one checking why he never turned up to lectures. His dad just kept getting the bills. No duty of care!!
This story isn't going away.

Russ
Poor dude... and his father. :(

Old thread I know but...

In my opinion the correct procedure was carried out.

However, at work we have one of our guys who's a bit of a nosy pillock. His nosiness usually starts with "I just happened to be passing X's house."

One instance was a few years back while I was off work either for a bout of pancreatitis or the ensuing gallbladder removal. He came out with "I just happened to be passing Del's (my nickname) house and I couldn't help but notice that his car has moved and some of his fishing gear had been removed."
The implication of course was that while off work ill I was galivanting around in my car and scrambling over the rocks while fishing.

In my opinion that went from concern to prying.

As it happens I am very good friends with two of my work colleagues and if one of us is ill we tend to check up on each other anyway.

Our line manager lives up at the end of a cul de sac that leads nowhere and this same guy said "I just happened to be passing line managers house..". The line manager said "how can you have been 'just passing' our cul de sac leads nowhere." And the guy had to admit he was nosing at the line managers house.

Old thread I know but...

However, at work we have one of our guys who's a bit of a nosy pillock. His nosiness usually starts with "I just happened to be passing X's house."

One instance was a few years back while I was off work either for a bout of pancreatitis or the ensuing gallbladder removal. He came out with "I just happened to be passing Del's (my nickname) house and I couldn't help but notice that his car has moved and some of his fishing gear had been removed."
The implication of course was that while off work ill I was galivanting around in my car and scrambling over the rocks while fishing.

As it happens I am very good friends with two of my work colleagues and if one of us is ill we tend to check up on each other anyway.

Our line manager lives up at the end of a cul de sac that leads nowhere and this same guy said "I just happened to be passing line managers house..". The line manager said "how can you have been 'just passing' our cul de sac leads nowhere." And the guy had to admit he was nosing at the line managers house.
That borders on stalking. Wow.

Russ

Old thread I know but...

I wouldn't go that far :headshake:

Old thread I know but...

When I was growing up our neighbour was the nosiest person ive ever met. His name was Ron.great guy but knew everyone's business. Mum was always talking to him when they passed each other outside, or in the garden. We only had wire fences so we saw lots of our neighbours. Ron would always start talking by saying, I'm not one to gossip, but did you know....... Blah blah.
Our family still use that term today. Lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom