Recipe Conch Salad

CraigC

Guru
Local time
2:37 AM
This ceviche recipe is courtesy of Norman Van Aken. Other mollusks can be substituted.

Ingredients
1 pound cleaned fresh conch, diced
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced (you can sub a habanero for a spicier version)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 European (hothouse) cucumber, peeled and minced (Persian cucumber can also be used)
1/2 yellow bell pepper, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, minced
1/4 red onion, minced
1/2 cup diced fresh tomato
1/4 ripe Florida avocado, diced, or 1/2 ripe Haas avocado (optional)

Directions
Combine all of the ingredients except the tomato and avocado in a large bowl. Stir and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop.

To serve, fold in the tomato and avocado. Transfer to 4 chilled glasses or serving bowls.

Ingredient Note:
Conch (queen conch) can't be harvested in the US. Shrimp can be substituted if no other mollusks are available. Abalone also makes a good substitute.

I love ceviche, and I'm disappointed with myself that I've gotten so far into summer without making one yet. Too many things going on, and it slipped my mind! So, thanks for the reminder.

@CraigC: whenever you talk about conch (you've done a few times since you joined), it reminds me of when I lived in California. Despite living near a large body of water (the Great Lakes, specifically Lake St. Clair), there are some sea critters we simply don't have here, like conch and abalone. I am now trying to decide whether or not to pay $30/pound to have it shipped here (and I don't think ordering from a local fish market would be that much cheaper).

Your fish markets don't have frozen conch? I can't believe that as large a city as Detroit is that somebody local doesn't have it. Don't get me wrong, it's not cheap regardless, but it just boggles my mind that nobody carries it.

Your fish markets don't have frozen conch? I can't believe that as large a city as Detroit is that somebody local doesn't have it. Don't get me wrong, it's not cheap regardless, but it just boggles my mind that nobody carries it.
One place in Ann Arbor posted a recipe for conch fritters, so I expected them to have some available. But, they don't...and they even said that don't have a distributor who can get them. They were my last, best hope for this. So, other than waiting until the next time I'm on the gulf coast, I'll have to rely on either memories or pay the massive price to have it shipped. :cry:

Stir and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop.
I've heard of chefs going for as little as 30 minutes here, but I agree that 2 hours is a good amount of time.

One thing I've found about ceviche is that the fish starts to break down if it stays in the liquid too long...the acidity of the citrus "cooks" the fish to make it safe to eat, but there is a limit. I tend to make smaller batches now, and drain the liquids after a few hours if I'm unable to finish it.

I've heard of chefs going for as little as 30 minutes here, but I agree that 2 hours is a good amount of time.

One thing I've found about ceviche is that the fish starts to break down if it stays in the liquid too long...the acidity of the citrus "cooks" the fish to make it safe to eat, but there is a limit. I tend to make smaller batches now, and drain the liquids after a few hours if I'm unable to finish it.

Conch is a lot denser than fish and needs the time.

This ceviche recipe is courtesy of Norman Van Aken. Other mollusks can be substituted.

Ingredients
1 pound cleaned fresh conch, diced
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced (you can sub a habanero for a spicier version)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 European (hothouse) cucumber, peeled and minced (Persian cucumber can also be used)
1/2 yellow bell pepper, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, minced
1/4 red onion, minced
1/2 cup diced fresh tomato
1/4 ripe Florida avocado, diced, or 1/2 ripe Haas avocado (optional)

Directions
Combine all of the ingredients except the tomato and avocado in a large bowl. Stir and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop.

To serve, fold in the tomato and avocado. Transfer to 4 chilled glasses or serving bowls.

Ingredient Note:
Conch (queen conch) can't be harvested in the US. Shrimp can be substituted if no other mollusks are available. Abalone also makes a good substitute.

Will giggle conch later, but abelone is called Paua here, pronounced pa wah. It's available and my son free dives for it when he's in kaikoura. I have it in my freezer. I make Paua fritters with it. It's minced up. Very very popular here.

Russ

I was inspired by your post to make ceviche last night. No conch, so I made mine with orange roughy. I see that it's on the endangered species list, so I won't buy it again. I did what I usually so when I make a ceviche; it's a stripped down version of what you posted:

1 pound fish, skinned, deboned, diced
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
1/4 red onion, minced

IMG_0733.JPG

Then, I decided it would be fun to have tacos. So, I took the normal-sized (spinach) tortillas that I had and cut them into smaller pieces:

IMG_0732.JPG

Then, I added pickled onions and peppers and some leftover coleslaw, and a festive summer dish was born:

IMG_0734.JPG

I was inspired by your post to make ceviche last night. No conch, so I made mine with orange roughy. I see that it's on the endangered species list, so I won't buy it again. I did what I usually so when I make a ceviche; it's a stripped down version of what you posted:

1 pound fish, skinned, deboned, diced
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
1/4 red onion, minced

View attachment 30529

Then, I decided it would be fun to have tacos. So, I took the normal-sized (spinach) tortillas that I had and cut them into smaller pieces:

View attachment 30528

Then, I added pickled onions and peppers and some leftover coleslaw, and a festive summer dish was born:

View attachment 30530

Orange roughy fishing grounds are good around here.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom