Convenience Stores

k
I love convenience stores, but they don't usually have things that we need that we have forgotten at the actual grocery store. They're pretty limited.
You spoke correctly. It's Sunday and most if not all of our Supermarkets will be closed by 2pm. Sunday grocery shopping took a while to catch on but it's growing here. Still, if you want certain things that the average Joe might consistent stapels, just forget about the convenience stores or mini marts as we call some here. So I guessing we should probably rename them because they might not be all that convenient for our particular needs.

The convenience stores or mini marts stock only the bare necessities, not all the other stuff we would normally buy at the supermarket. So, it all depends on what you are looking for. For one thing, you are not going to find a variety of meat or fish there, if any. Also, vegetables are seldom seen at these mini marts. However, I still tend to like them since they stock what is really important.

Here in our place we are surrounded by many convenience stores opens 24 hours a day. In the establishment we are living there are 5 convenience stores near our place in every corner. We had two 7Eleven, two GS25 and one Mini Stop. These three convenience stores are the popular here in our place. Sometimes if I need something to buy that is needed at once I just go out and buy in this stores. Although like what they said here the cost of prices is higher compared to the supermarket and grocery stores. But in some ways they are also helpful.
I'm finding this thread quite fascinating. But @ReadmeByAmy, I don't know where you live, so its very frustrating! I want to know where this 'place' is that you have these stores - I mean, which country? I'm sure you might have told us in the past, but I can't remember. You can easily add it below your picture!

I'm on my hobby-horse again pleading with people to add their location! Just the country is fine (town or village even better!). Click on this link: How to add your location to below your avatar. I noticed that @purplepen88 just added location! Brilliant.

For us there are 2 small rows of shops where I live. 2 villages have basically grown to the point of merging but neither has conceded and both have managed to maintain their tiny shop population through stubbornness and community support. We even still have a library. One of the local shops is a Premiere store but the lady who runs it stocks it with really useful items, so whilst there is no almond milk, there is soya milk and the end of rows are not stacked with sweets but vary between nails and screws, mini sewing kits and health food, packets of nuts and flapjacks to shelves stocked with small quantities of lots of different things. She also runs a local MyHermes pickup point from it and going by the volume of parcels going in and out of the store it is a huge success. Next door is a deli/bakers who sell most of their stuff by midday with a target audience of the white van man. Try getting a loaf of bread after midday though and your choice will be very limited. They close at 2pm having opened around 7am. Further down the row is a dry cleaners run by a man from the Oman. His opening times are best described as 'when here around' and definitely not the 10-6 that it states on the door. The general rule being that if the door is open or the light is on, he's open. But when I day the door is open, I mean unlocked. When have been passed at midday and he's closed (annoying when I have cycled there) and similarly I have been passed at midnight and he has still been open!

The other village centre has both a Premiere and a Spar within a stones throw off each other, but the Spar note houses the village post office luckily. Then there is a greengrocer, a chippy, a dentist and a hair dressers, plus the village chemist and a proper butchers fit those interested. Parking despite there being dedicated parking is always a nightmare because it is so well used. Both the Spar and the Premiere are just standard shops to avoid really, but the local shops are great. Somewhere between all of that there is a proper barbers as well. They are about a miles walk away. East enough before my back went, now well more than I can manage.

Somehow the community manager to support 2 primary schools and 5 churches as well as a dedicated high end wine store which now stands by itself but must be doing well because it took over the old shop that the post office moved out of.

One of the local shops is a Premiere store but the lady who runs it stocks it with really useful items, so whilst there is no almond milk, there is soya milk and the end of rows are not stacked with sweets but vary between nails and screws, mini sewing kits and health food, packets of nuts and flapjacks to shelves stocked with small quantities of lots of different things. She also runs a local MyHermes pickup point from it and going by the volume of parcels going in and out of the store it is a huge success.
I think the MyHermes and similar pick up points have become something of a lifeline for small shops, and given the rise in internet shopping is likely to continue.I wonder it didn't happen earlier. It was an issue for years for people who are at work all day.

While I appreciate that it's not nice to laugh at the misfortune of others, it was hard not to raise a smile when one of our local convenience stores closed down, largely because it was, well, rubbish. The name of the store? "Best One".

Relative was informed, when the dairy opened their shop next door, he'd be forced out. The same with the two petrol stations when they opened shops, one opening a supermarket. He beat the lot.
What closed him down, was what comes to us all.
Come across this picture on the internet of the man himself, in store. The pad in front of him,is where you'd get your receipt from. A great man for the tea.
Pakie.jpg

Back
Top Bottom