Cooking & Eating Quirks You've Acquired With Age

Jade

Veteran
Local time
5:40 AM
I've been growing more and more finicky with cooking and eating as I age, and by that I mean that a lot of the things I used to eat when I was a kid now seem to make me feel queasy. For example, I used to love runny yolks when I was younger but now I'm growing more and more queasy when I think about them, probably because I keep picturing them as chicken fetuses as I grow more conscious. Not that cooking them further makes them any less fetus-y but solid form at least doesn't feel as icky to me if that makes any sense. I honestly don't know what's happening with me but as I grow older I'm noticing more and more of these quirks I'm acquiring. The same thing goes for meat as I get less and less enthusiastic about it the more I grow conscious of it being an animal instead of just food. The good thing is that I have also gained appreciation for many other ingredients that I previously never would have eaten such as bitter gourd and pickles. Any of you guys have similar experiences?

I think the biggest thing I've learned by having more experience with cooking is that now I have more security and confidence to mix up ingredients, spices, seasonings and condiments. Before I would get scared that mixing different things would ruin my meal. But now I'm comfortable adding things like peppers, basil, Rosemary, curry and stuff like that into my food.

As I get older I am more interested in trying new things, 6 years ago I tried oysters for the first time, crocodile, kangaroo. A couple of years before, my partner was involved in a very nasty cycling accident. Thankfully he pulled through and, yes I will admit to a full on cliche, it made us both realise that life is precious so once he was fit and well we started to live life, we got married on the other side of the world,we travel and try things we would never have thought about trying before.
If we thought about our food, how it is produced/grown/reared etc... then we wouldn't eat much at all. I try to be sensible but at the same time realistic.

I've always liked trying new things, and quite frankly I'm the kind of person who will eat most things without any problems. Definitely not a picky eater.
I'd say that the two major things I've learned to love are olives and red wine. I couldn't stand either when I was younger but now I consider both to be foods that I eat just for the novelty of eating them.

There are not many things that I do not eat, but when I was much younger, I could not eat soft-boiled egg...it always came back up. Up to this day, I like my boiled eggs to be as hard as possible, no trace of softness at all. When my eggs are fried or scrambled, the same thing applies. They must be thoroughly done.

I can remember liking figs and bananas quite a lot as a child. Somehow, as I grew older, I stopped craving these fruits as much, but I still eat them occasionally. Figs used to be preferred over bananas back then, but now it is the other way around.

Have you had children? I ask this because I have four children and with each pregnancy I have gone off more and more foods. Things I used to love make me feel nauseous. It would be really hard to explain to people what I will and won't eat too. I like tomatoes but only if they are hard, verging on being unripe. I only eat fries that are a certain shape (this is very weird I know) and some things have to be cooked in a certain way for me to eat them.

There is a lot of candy I used to eat as a kid that I can no longer stomach as an adult, like those wax tubes with colored sugar water in them - who thought of that in the first place? Or Pixie Stix, bleh. Or those chalky tasting fake cigarettes that more or less look like joints. Good grief.

I used to absolutely love Long John Silvers when I was a kid, and would always beg my parents to order an extra side of those fried batter crumbles they would sell because I could not get enough of that stuff. More recently I got some Long John Silvers just for the hell of it, and I could barely eat it it was so salty and full of MSG. Now that stuff really bothers me and makes me nauseous.

I've had an on and off love affair with pop too. When I was a teenager and got braces, I had to stop drinking it all together (well at least Coke, but I quit drinking it all due to the sugar). For about 3-4 years, however long I had those braces on, I lost interest in drinking pop. When I finally got them off, I went to have my first glass of it again and was shocked how much it burned my mouth. I guess you don't realize how corrosive and strong that stuff is when you drink it regularly. More recently in the past couple years I quit drinking pop again, and I don't miss it. The once in a blue moon when I do have it, it's way too syrupy as well and it never really quenches my thirst. I'm usually scrambling for some water or tea to rinse it out of my mouth.

I'm definitely the opposite. Things that used to gross me out as a child, I'm now like... bring it on! I used to hate onions, and now I absolutely love them. I also used to only eat my red meat well done and now I don't really care how it's cooked. I also wouldn't look twice at sea food but now I love it and even eat sushi all the time.

Have you had children? I ask this because I have four children and with each pregnancy I have gone off more and more foods. Things I used to love make me feel nauseous. It would be really hard to explain to people what I will and won't eat too. I like tomatoes but only if they are hard, verging on being unripe. I only eat fries that are a certain shape (this is very weird I know) and some things have to be cooked in a certain way for me to eat them.
Nope, no children yet. I don't think it's that they are making me nauseous though exactly, just that as I grow older I'm paying more and more attention to what it really is I'm eating and I then become more conscious of what they are in original form, etc. :D it's kind of hard to explain, but probably the best I could say is that I don't see beef as just meat anymore now and instead I see it as a former cow, whereas when I was very young I was a lot less conscious of it or probably didn't care as much even though I knew what beef really was.

I'm definitely the opposite. Things that used to gross me out as a child, I'm now like... bring it on! I used to hate onions, and now I absolutely love them. I also used to only eat my red meat well done and now I don't really care how it's cooked. I also wouldn't look twice at sea food but now I love it and even eat sushi all the time.

I do have some of these as well, so like I said I'm happy that I at least get some new favorites to balance out the ones I'm getting rid of. :)

Back
Top Bottom