"Cooking Fatigue"

mjd

Veteran
Local time
7:22 AM
Just read an article about "cooking fatigue." In summary, many people dove into cooking and baking when the pandemic first hit, but, now, many are growing tired of it. According to the author, "cooking fatigue" is real.

Once Enthusiastic, Americans' 'Cooking Fatigue' Simmers As Pandemic Drags On
NPR Choice page

What do you think? Has your cooking and/or baking changed since COVID-19 sent the world into a tailspin?

Just read an article about "cooking fatigue." In summary, many people dove into cooking and baking when the pandemic first hit, but, now, many are growing tired of it. According to the author, "cooking fatigue" is real.

Once Enthusiastic, Americans' 'Cooking Fatigue' Simmers As Pandemic Drags On
NPR Choice page

What do you think? Has your cooking and/or baking changed since COVID-19 sent the world into a tailspin?
If you like to cook and are in the habit of regular cooking, you aren't going to fatigue of it.

I wonder if there's a gardening fatigue too.

If you like to cook and are in the habit of regular cooking, you aren't going to fatigue of it.

I wonder if there's a gardening fatigue too.

True. I was pondering it because there is a difference between liking to cook/bake and HAVING to cook/bake even if one normally enjoys it. It could feel more like a chore if one is used to going out to eat or ordering take-out some days in the week.

I don't know about gardening fatigue but I have "clean the fridge fatigue" and "laundry fatigue". LOL

Cooking fatigue for me comes from trying to find different recipes and not get stuck in a rut. Couple that with a full time job and primary care giver for one parent, I find myself going for convenience /easy vs a well rounded variety especially in the colder months. First world problems... I should not complain.

My cooking habits have been unchanged by Covid. I do like a night off every week (I do all the cooking), but I did before as well.

And I have the opposite problem from Backbay's - I'm always looking for something new to cook, so much so that I constantly forget where I got the recipes for dishes I've made in the past. :)

I've acquired "Everything Fatigue." Cooking, house cleaning, yard work -- it has all gotten to be a chore. Cooking used to be a great escape from my crazy work/travel routine. Same with yard and garden work. Now, when I do work, it is a break from cooking. :laugh:

"Variety is the spice of life," and when you don't have that spice, life can become bland.

CD

My cooking habits have been unchanged by Covid. I do like a night off every week (I do all the cooking), but I did before as well.
Same here Taster mate. We still argue over who cooks what. Today the wind has finally started to change to the north wind (bura ) so because it is pushing the south wind (yugo) back it's the first serious rain we have had. Tomorrow when the Bura is in residence (cold 17c but dry ans sunny) we will go out.
Thanks to Morning Glory link to the Ex Pats shop we will spend most of the day arguing about what to order.

No change here either....but then we hardly ate out anyway and only occasionally got takeaways so I suppose that's not surprising. I expect if you're used to eating out a few times a week then you'd be feeling the difference - even more so if your usual habit is meeting friends at the pub at the same time (not us, but there are families who regularly get together and eat in our two local pubs).

Certainly I think this time round people aren't baking as much....because I can still easily buy bread flour, other flours, sugar and eggs (which were in short supply when the first lockdown hit). So I guess the novelty of it has worn off for some people.

Covid has spiked tremendously here in the US, mid November. My bods' got learned antibodies and if I had it second time, it was much milder in effect. As an old retired disabled Vet, I don't get out as often as I used to, despite the lockdowns. So routine for me is what I build up in terms of hobbies, the most intense of which has been studio photography. Over the months, I have slowly been building up my studio, lighting, stands, backdrops, you name it, including new software for post-processing. I still like to get some outdoor photography done, but that's difficult with lockdowns. With the new upturn, I just got an alert from the county that this all just got worse still.

My cooking at times, has depended upon the microwave and quick processed foods, but still go for something requiring work, from time to time. Yesterday, for instance, I had boneless porkchops over mixed rices, annaheim peppers, onion and garlic. This was topped by Pickapeppa Sauce.

It walks, stalking about like a great theropod dinosaur from the Triassic Age, looking for something to capture and consume ...

IMG_5645.JPG

IMG_5646.JPG

In this case, it has decided to go herbivorous, munching on Pomegranate blooms.

Cooking fatigue for me comes from trying to find different recipes and not get stuck in a rut. Couple that with a full time job and primary care giver for one parent, I find myself going for convenience /easy vs a well rounded variety especially in the colder months. First world problems... I should not complain.

Backbay, it sounds like your plate is full. Caretaking, alone, is quite exhausting. I don't think you're complaining at all. Sometimes, it helps just to share with others who care. I do.

And I have the opposite problem from Backbay's - I'm always looking for something new to cook, so much so that I constantly forget where I got the recipes for dishes I've made in the past. :)

You need to get started on your own cookbook! I'm still wondering how you manage your lovely tea menus. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom