Cooking for Cold Weather

Shellyann36

Veteran
Local time
1:17 PM
Our temperatures have dropped quite a bit and it will be 20 degrees on Monday morning. On days like this a good meal of chilli, stew or soup is in order at our home. We also like comfort meals such as pot roast, baked chicken and meatloaf.

What are some of your cold weather meals?

Definitely warm comfort foods. Home made chicken noodle soup is the main favorite, as long as I have enough noodles left over after making them (love eating them right out of the oven!). Another cold weather favorite is tater tot hotdish, a Minnesotan favorite.

I am not sure you would be able to relate to some of the Indian fast food and cuisines. But some of my favorites in cold weather are:

1. Hot Samosa (a combination of potatoes and Indian spices)
2. Hot Vada - Pav (Indian burger)
3. Hot Bhajji (a combination of batter and potatoe or onion)

and a cup of hot tea. That's what I like.

I crave anything that is potato based once the colder weather arrives (I do so love potatoes aka tatties is this household). So colcannon, lentil & potato with caramalised red onions, leek & potato soup, leeky pie with potato pastry are just a few and quite a few of my homemade indian meals contain potatoes as well.

What are some of your cold weather meals?

It was 19 degrees when I got up this morning... brrrrr! I like making anything that will heat the kitchen either with the oven running for a while or from soup/chili bubbling away on top of the stove.

Favorites? I guess that would have to be some of my favorite casserole recipes. I love this time of year and casseroles are comfort food, so it works great when the weather is cold.

In fact, tonight's dinner will be Shepherd's Pie... that's about as "comfort-foody" as you can get. :laugh:

When the cikd weather comes I love veg soup. There is nothing like it to kick the cold out of you. When I make soup at home everything goes into it. It's so nice and it fill you up.

I don't mind drinking coffee as much when it is cold out. So I am more likely to forego any big meals, perhaps to save room for some coffee and desert instead. There would be some evenings I would get home from work and just head out to Borders or Barnes & Noble for some strong coffee's and a piece of pie or cake, instead of dinner. Not exactly the healthiest thing, I know, but I am able to focus more in the colder months for some reason.

During winter I love to cook cream soups, stews and casserole dishes.

Of course hot chocolate is probably the favorite drink of the season, beside the habitual strong coffee early in the morning and late in the evening.

Here in South Korea the country I am currently living we always had Seaweed Soup (seaweed, beef, garlic, salt, sesame oil) during the cold weather it is very delicious When I first tasted it I always want to cook the soup even it is not winter. You should try this soup and one thing seaweed is very healthy for our body.

Definitely warm comfort foods. Home made chicken noodle soup is the main favorite, as long as I have enough noodles left over after making them (love eating them right out of the oven!). Another cold weather favorite is tater tot hotdish, a Minnesotan favorite.

Oh is that the casserole with hamburger, cream of chicken soup, onions, cheese and tater tots on top? I love to make that for my family as well.

I am not sure you would be able to relate to some of the Indian fast food and cuisines. But some of my favorites in cold weather are:

1. Hot Samosa (a combination of potatoes and Indian spices)
2. Hot Vada - Pav (Indian burger)
3. Hot Bhajji (a combination of batter and potatoe or onion)

and a cup of hot tea. That's what I like.

Oh please feel free to share any of the recipes. I love trying new foods from different cultures. Curry is one of my favorite spices!

I crave anything that is potato based once the colder weather arrives (I do so love potatoes aka tatties is this household). So colcannon, lentil & potato with caramalised red onions, leek & potato soup, leeky pie with potato pastry are just a few and quite a few of my homemade indian meals contain potatoes as well.

The lentil, potato and caramalised onions sound so good! Feel free to share some recipes.

When the cikd weather comes I love veg soup. There is nothing like it to kick the cold out of you. When I make soup at home everything goes into it. It's so nice and it fill you up.

You sound like me. I load my veggie soup to the brim with lots of veggies.

During winter I love to cook cream soups, stews and casserole dishes.

Of course hot chocolate is probably the favorite drink of the season, beside the habitual strong coffee early in the morning and late in the evening.

I need to make some more hot chocolate mix. We ran out. I am going grocery shopping on Tuesday so I had better get together the items I need for it. I drink coffee in the morning but any more than one or two cups and I start twitching and feeling crazy.

Here in South Korea the country I am currently living we always had Seaweed Soup (seaweed, beef, garlic, salt, sesame oil) during the cold weather it is very delicious When I first tasted it I always want to cook the soup even it is not winter. You should try this soup and one thing seaweed is very healthy for our body.

Seaweed soup sounds very unusual. Please share the recipe with us!

Back
Top Bottom