Cooking for friends

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:48 AM
i do this a lot, mainly my group of close friends is about a dozen people, I normally ask 2 couples and I cook 3 courses. 6 people is a good number, although I have cooked for up to 10. My wife says she thinks we cook too often, but our friends say they can't cook as good as me, so are frightened to ask us over. My wife thinks this is an excuse. It can be expensive cooking for 6 when you price steaks out. Do you guys get the same as I do. People not wanting to cook for you.?? It really doesn't bother me but my wife thinks we get used a bit.
Thoughts?

Russ

We have a few friends that come up with their 3 or 4 kids in tow every year on various weekends, and other weekends a couple of my adult nieces and nephews come for a day visit, usually during the summer.

We take them out on the boat for the afternoon; bring drinks, fruit, and snacks for everyone on board, then go back home and I fire up the grill while my wife sets everything else up.

I grill a couple of big London Broils (top round steaks sliced thinly for serving with a steak sauce or au jus), hot dogs, chicken legs, sweet onions, peppers, and stuffed, giant portabella caps.

The day before, my wife makes macaroni salad and /or baked ziti, a giant salad, garlic bread, and appy plates of chips, nuts, cheeses, salumi, and chips/crisps.

We've never said anything to anyone about the cost (marine fuel, food costs, anount of time prepping, then cleaning up - both the boat and house after the fact, etc.) or proper manners or anything, but everyone seems to show up with a small dessert and enough alcohol for them to consume themselves.

At least one of the families invites us to their house for a pot-luck New Years Eve party every year.

The way I look at it, providence has been in my favor, so I'm just passing it along.

Make it a pot luck and have everyone bring a dish.

Back in the UK we did similar once per month. Different houses each time. I was surprised that it was always the blokes who did the cooking.

But it was the wives who did the clearing up.

Back in the UK we did similar once per month. Different houses each time. I was surprised that it was always the blokes who did the cooking.

But it was the wives who did the clearing up.

Lols, I do both , I know, sucker, I don't mind.

I'm not a clearing up kinda gal. I'm much better at setting up than breaking down. I usually rope someone into going for a walk after the meal sometimes the whole crew, prolonging the cleanup.

Back
Top Bottom