Cooking for the family - A La Carte

MeerB

Veteran
Local time
10:15 AM
What I've found over the past few years, is that my son (10), Daughter (8) and wife, have slipped into the habit of telling me what they want for dinner *today*. That would be fine if they all agreed on the same thing, or even two of them the same, but like last night, tonight and probably tomorrow - they all ask for something different.

Now I've tried to battle this, cajoling them to choose 'together', but it's as if they think they're in a restaurant. It ends up with me going to the kitchen utterly defeated, as I come to the conclusion that it's easier to cook three separate dishes rather than get them to agree on any one thing.

But by far the worst thing of all is............. they then do not take their empty dishes into the kitchen (at least), and then expect me to do all the washing up. And heaven help me if it's not tidy in the morning........ I think I'm being mugged. Opinions?

Pete :)

You sound like your being very generous with your time Pete so if I were you I'd set the meal plan and tell them what the whole family is having for tea each evening!! That's how it was done in our house, and if you didn't like it, there was always bread and butter ... :wink:

Of course it might work a little better if you mix-up dishes that each of them (and you) like; at least then everyone gets at least one dish in the week they enjoy.

Then throw in something random and different every once in a while to keep things interesting (for you, as the cook of the house)! :thumbsup:

What sorts of things do they enjoy eating - perhaps some of the members can give you some new recipe ideas to try out?

Shaun,

Yes, I see what you're saying. Trouble is, they have such varying tastes it's often difficult to find a compromise. For instance, this evening, Daughter wanted spaghetti Napolitan (wife does not like tomatoes, and son does not like anything in a sauce), Son wanted lamb chops with French fries, and my wife wanted Lancashire Hotpot with fresh cabbage. I could chase both the children with any sort of cabbage!!!!!

To cap it all, just before serving, my wife said 'Plenty of meat please and no veg'.......

I know what's coming next. 'Daddy, what's for dessert?' I'll say 'The fruit bowl or a yoghurt'.

Pete

Bread and water for a week ... they'll eat whatever you put in front of them after that ... :roflmao:

It does sound like you've got your work cut out for you. Maybe start making them do a bit of the work to take the strain off you; setting the table, clearing up, washing the pots, putting everything away, etc.

Food wise though, it's a tough one.

Back
Top Bottom