Cooking in long sleeves

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
10:23 AM
Do you? Most of the time I wear my sleeves rolled up anyway so it's not an issue. A couple of days ago, an unexpected cold spell sent me in search of a woolly jumper, mid cooking. Without thinking, I was suddenly reaching over lit gas burners, my sleeves mere inches away from naked flames. :eek: One of those serious wake-up moments.

Do you? Most of the time I wear my sleeves rolled up anyway so it's not an issue. A couple of days ago, an unexpected cold spell sent me in search of a woolly jumper, mid cooking. Without thinking, I was suddenly reaching over lit gas burners, my sleeves mere inches away from naked flames. :eek: One of those serious wake-up moments.

I can't remember needing a long sleeve shirt on the first of September. More like a sleeveless shirt.

Cotton is your best bet with fire. I wear cotton underwear under my Nomex race suit. Synthetics, like polyester, are a definite no no. Wearing petro-chemicals around fire is just not something I would recommend.

But, your best bet is to wear short sleeves, or roll up those long sleeves.

CD

Last edited:
My grandma makes fun of me for cooking in long sleeves all the time. Once we were watching a soap opera and there was this woman wearing some very elaborate long sleeves with frills and cooking in it and my grandma was like: Look, that's what you do! I don't know why but I just rarely remember to roll sleeves up.

I don't ever wear long sleeves indoors so its not an issue for me. In fact, thinking about it, I only possess two long sleeved tops - a cardigan and a black jumper and neither are worn indoors.

Naturism is readily accepted here within certain well marked areas which included camps and small Islands.In fact my SIl has two secluded houses that naturist groups love on Hvar. My nephews make a few bob in the season ferrying naturists to the little islands. Ive often wondered if they wear protection when cooking

?

I don't ever wear long sleeves indoors so its not an issue for me. In fact, thinking about it, I only possess two long sleeved tops - a cardigan and a black jumper and neither are worn indoors.

Portuguese homes are poorly built and most of them are freezing in winter, I wish we wouldn't need long sleeves indoors. And in the winter I will often be cooking in my robe. It's a miracle I never set myself on fire cooking actually :D

Except for a couple of t-shirts for knocking around the house, I don't own any shirts with short sleeves. No polos or golf shirts (they give us those at work and they go right in the donate pile).

Most days, my sleeves are rolled up. As I have electric, I'm not worried about naked flames igniting me, Human Torch style, I'm more concerned about spatters and stains on my sleeves from whatever I'm cooking.

When it's something I know is going to be really messy, I do have a cook's smock that I'll put on.

As to cooking in the raw...I've cooked in various stages of dressed/undressed my entire adult life. It all depends on the situation on the day, really.

I really feel the need to make a sausage joke here, but I just can't be bothered today. :wink:

During the winter I try not to keep the heating in the house too high, it's not just a matter of cost, it's mainly a matter of health and I prefer to wear an extra shirt rather than sweating in the winter staying at home. Having said that, yes, it often happens to me to cook in long sleeves, although for practicality I tend to roll them up while cooking. Sometimes, however, I use long sleeves as potholders for pots and pans if I can't find the real ones at the moment.
While when I use the oven, long sleeves protect me from burns - if I remember to pull down them, of course.
It's a real mess instead when I knead making bread or focaccia...sometimes I knead the cuffs of the sweatshirt or t-shirt together with the flour. I roll up my sleeves and invariably while I start kneading they come down in unison and I have to roll them up somehow using my teeth or my chin.
A pitiful scene!

Last edited:
But you are not a tightwad who refuses to turn on the central heating until ice starts to form on the inside of the windows!

I think I have 2, long sleeve, denim shirts I use when the temps get below 50F, which doesn't happen here very often. They are for work and I've never used them when cooking outside.

Back
Top Bottom