Cooking in skillets

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:27 PM
In another thread we were talking about skillets - and in particular the 'one person serving' skillet which is great for breakfasts. I already have a rather pricey Staub round cast iron skillet which I use a lot for all sorts of things. They are very photogenic :). Today I acquired this new pre-seasoned oval skillet at a very good price (thanks medtran49 - I did a comprehensive search!). Its perfect for egg dishes. This is spicy aubergine in tomato sauce with egg.

Do you use cast iron skillets? What kind of food do you cook in them?

Yes, I have a 12" Lodge that is easily my most-used skillet. I use it nearly every day.

Apart from my Dutch oven, which is enameled cast iron, it's the only cast iron piece I have. I'm planning on both a smaller cast iron skillet and a smaller Dutch oven in the near future.

We're looking for a couple 12" ovals to make breakfast skillets. We want the wood bases as well. They will also be good for serving fajitas.

I have 4 small frypans, not cast iron but non stick anyway. I use for one person things, perfect for 1 piece of fried bread then two eggs. Or a bugger pattie bacon and egg. I have three sizes of pans. I also have a large skillet for doing steaks, it leaves the ring marks in the steaks.

Russ

We're looking for a couple 12" ovals to make breakfast skillets. We want the wood bases as well. They will also be good for serving fajitas.
We got two of those, 30 years ago, for our wedding; sort of shallow oval cast iron, long handle, and a wood base that was routed out to fit the skillets.

I wasn't interested in cast iron at the time, probably used them twice, so after moving them with us from NY to TX, and then from TX to the UK, and then another move inside the UK, I gave them to one of the movers who was packing us up when we moved back to the US.

I have four cast-iron skillets. Three are Le Crueset coated skillets, in 6-1/3, 9 and 10-1/4 inch sizes. I use them a lot.

I also have a Griswold #8 non-coated CI skillet that I use only for special things. It is the perfect pan for cornbread.

CD

Did you mean like the one in my photo with 2 handles? That one is 8½ inches length. Its great for egg dishes for one. It cost £11.99 ($15). Came with a wooden base.

In another thread we were talking about skillets - and in particular the 'one person serving' skillet which is great for breakfasts. I already have a rather pricey Staub round cast iron skillet which I use a lot for all sorts of things. They are very photogenic :). Today I acquired this new pre-seasoned oval skillet at a very good price (thanks medtran49 - I did a comprehensive search!). Its perfect for egg dishes. This is spicy aubergine in tomato sauce with egg.

Do you use cast iron skillets? What kind of food do you cook in them?

View attachment 40425

View attachment 40426

Those pans look so cute!!!!

I decided to keep the 6" round cast iron skillets for individual cobblers, cakes, brownies, etc. However, I did find the below, 6 x 8 inches actual pan part size, and you can also get an aluminum sizzler plate that fits the base, which I think I might order after I see what Craig thinks. They were a lot less expensive than others I had found.
full.jpg

I decided to keep the 6" round cast iron skillets for individual cobblers, cakes, brownies, etc. However, I did find the below, 6 x 8 inches actual pan part size, and you can also get an aluminum sizzler plate that fits the base, which I think I might order after I see what Craig thinks. They were a lot less expensive than others I had found.
View attachment 41176

Size is virtually the same as my oval one pictured in the top post. Its a great size for individual dishes. :okay:

Back
Top Bottom