Cooking or food related Christmas presents

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:24 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm just wondering if anyone else received any presents either directly or indirectly related to the kitchen.

For me I had a few items that could qualify, from some new measuring spoons (curiously Australian ones don't have a desertspoon but do have a half tablespoon size), some cookie cutters (double sized so one side is straight and the other crinkled), some very nice sea salt dark chocolate (dairy free) from Oxfam (very smooth and not sweet), plus a new camera. I know how does the camera fit in? Well it had the ability to transfer my raw files, convert them in camera (as pretty normal) resize them if I want to, and upload them to my tablet for me to post directly to here without having to use my laptop. I still get the option of converting them on the laptop as well, but for quick snaps where I'm happy with everything from light settings, white balance right down to exposure, it means I can upload photos to here much more easily than ever before. Some bits of new technology do actually bring benefits and not make life more complicated. All I need now if for a new tablet in the next 12 months because this one is starting to run into problems with the screen. There's a yellow ring appearing around the edge showing either it's age or heat damage maybe from now bring in Australia. I don't leave it in the sun , but when the house itself is taking 40C there is little you can do except power the device off completely which I don't always remember to do. Also the camera on here is crap as is the white balance and unless the conditions are ideal, the images from the on-board camera are less than ideal.

Oh and today's crackers also delivered a set of measuring spoons as well. Handy because we won't mind separating them and keeping 1 in my zinc powder and another in the calcium powder for the chooks.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Sounds wonderful .. Useful tiny prep ware .. I like black chocolate wih sea salt or red chili peppers, myself ..

Please tell me, which Camera did you receive for Christmas ?

Use all in good health ..

Last edited:
As I mentioned in a similar post, before Christmas, our gift to each other, is a trip to Italy ( Venezia & Verona ) ..

We shall be flying direct on the 1st and returning on the 7th ..

We do not mind the cold, so a Gondolier is simply sensational and a stop over on the Isle of Murano, a tiny Islette which is known for its artisianal glassware and stemware .. We shall also be lunching with a dear Photographer friend and a dear Chef friend ..

So, not cooking wares ... But a gastro eno adventure ..

Yes - two cooking related so far - I expect more when I get Christmas number two with my friend this weekend.

Photos to follow... I was going to start a similar thread - but to include any presents members got for Xmas. Perhaps we could just expand the title of this thread.

I realise I forgot to mention the toaster...

Photos to follow... I was going to start a similar thread - but to include any presents members got for Xmas. Perhaps we could just expand the title of this thread

Perhaps a new thread in the Cafe for non food related presents...

Please tell me, which Camera did you receive for Christmas
It's a professional series camera but one of the pocket range which takes in raw format. That is essential for me. I won't have a camera that doesn't take in raw. It is to go with my canon EOS 5D mk ii. Not cheap but very good though initially it did through me because I couldn't find a lot of the features I needed. They no longer had a button. However everything had gone over to touch screen on it, so once I worked that out it was fine! It's a Canon Powershot G9x mk ii.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Thank you very much .. I shall take a look in Fnac Barcelona and El Corte Ingles Department Store at this Canon Powershot G9x MK ii ..

I need a really good camera .. Our 35mm Pentax is a great camera but heavy .. I use it when I am home but to travel with, it is not lightweight ..

Have a lovely day ..

My presents so far: The sizzle plate I did not expect and as I don't have anything like it it will be very useful. My daughter thought it would be good for food photos. The perfume is not really food related except that I use perfume every day and quite a few 'expensive' ones - I find they inspire me to cook. This might seem very strange but its something to do with synaesthesia.

20171226_121627.jpg

20171226_132113.jpg

20171226_132021.jpg

My presents so far: The sizzle plate I did not expect and as I don't have anything like it it will be very useful. My daughter thought it would be good for food photos. The perfume is not really food related except that I use perfume every day and quite a few 'expensive' ones - I find they inspire me to cook. This might seem very strange but its something to do with synaesthesia.

View attachment 12518

View attachment 12519

View attachment 12520

@morning glory

You are not the first or last to be inspired by scents, perfumes or aromatics ..

Three Michelin Star Dessert Designer Jordi Roca of El Celler de Can Roca has created a line of desserts with the aromas of the original Perfume by: Hermé, the producer of Silk Scarves, equestrian apparel and cashmere goods ..

Quite amazing to say the least ..

I believe all home gourmets and professional chefs are inspired by a range of aromas, natural seascapes, forests, gardens, vegetation etcetra .. Color plays an enormous role as well ..

Last edited:
As I mentioned in a similar post, before Christmas, our gift to each other, is a trip to Italy ( Venezia & Verona ) ..

We do not mind the cold, so a Gondolier is simply sensational and a stop over on the Isle of Murano, a tiny Islette which is known for its artisianal glassware and stemware .. ..

DD and I did a tour in 1998 that stated a couple days after Christmas, that was 1 of the years Craig had to do a LOT of traveling to Europe for work so he was gracious enough to stay home to take care of the fur babies and send us to Italy. Being from S. Florida though, we about froze our tushies off in Venezia and our gondolier ride was just after dusk so it was cold and damp. We had lunch in Burano the next day, at least it had warmed up by then, then went to Murano. DD didn't much appreciate our lunch in Burano since it was mostly fish based, but the proprietor was gracious enough to ask her what was wrong when he noticed she wasn't eating much, and then made her some other kind of pasta when it was explained she wasn't a big fish eater. I'm sure it didn't hurt that she was a very pretty young thing (20) with a gorgeous figure back then either. and he was a huge flirt even with us older ladies. We took a 7-day tour, but went several days early so we could explore Rome to her heart's content, mostly the Vatican museums. First time I ever lost weight on vacation, and I mean noticeable weight as in having to tighten up pant belts. She had us walking all over Rome, all through those museums, plus we tended to go off on our own when the group tour did things she wasn't interested in or there was a museum she really wanted to visit instead.

Craig and I had gone a couple of years before and scored reservations for Cipriani's on Giudecca. If you were a guest of the hotel or the restaurant, you got to ride over in 1 of their motor launches. All wood, velvety upholstery, absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, I started coming down with something with a high fever that shot up out of nowhere, and don't remember much after our first course, or much of the next day or so either for that matter. We were also on a tour and had to leave Venice for Assisi. Poor Craig had to leave me in the hotel room in bed and trek up the mountain to the pharmacy, then sit and wait for it to open (they closed up mid-day for several hours, which is common but he didn't realize), to get some medication for me. At least I have the memories of the Bellini and sort of the first course, at least how pretty it was, taste or what it was, not so much.

A sizzle plate looks fun! I look forward to seeing your creations.

I forgot to add to mine that my lovely Mum always gives me a little stocking of presents each year so in addition to the knife sharpener I got a packet of pretty fairy-cake cases, some ribbon for tying round my pots of chutney/mustard/pickle, and some jam toppers also for the chutney etc.

This is far from being a phone camera.

What is? My phone camera or your new camera? I was really just mentioning it because I know @Francesca is not technically minded and also wants something she can carry easily on her travels - she might be better off investing in a high end camera phone than a digital camera.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn & @morning glory

True, I am as "techi as a peanut" as the saying goes .. However, I need a top notch camera. I went looking at the new I Phone and the new Samsungs yesterday ..

The big problem with Samsung is their short battery life .. at least with the Samsung 6.75 Inch Galaxy iii .. Love the size factor but the battery is not up to par.

The Price for an I phone is 25 Euros a month + usage & internet unlimited here .. The Price for a Samsung (latest models ) is 30 Euros a month + usage and unlimited internet .. This comes to: 60 - 65 Euros a month depending on one´s phone usage .. It is unlimited in Spain .. However, I do travel when in season and thus, it can go to 75 Euros - 85 Euros a month ..

Cameras: Since one of my family members, ( Sat knows this) is a professionally published author and photographer, and Director of Media, Press Relations, we have been discussing a variety of options.

So, out of curiousity, I asked Sat about her new camera .. My husband is a wonderful photographer so lessons !

Have a wonderful 2018 ahead ..

Back
Top Bottom