Cooking Shows

KitKat

Local time
11:43 AM
I am into "Chopped" now. Loving the weird food twist(s) in the contestant's baskets and am continuously amazed at what they come up with and prepare. Awhile ago, one DD and I were into "Hell's Kitchen" with Gordon Ramsey. That show was more for kicks and his pretentious chewing out of the Chefs in competition. I have found myself turning on the Barefoot Contessa i.e. Ina Garten as well as "Giada" and "Beat Bobby Flay." I have also watched "Worst Cooks in America" and "Guy's Grocery Games." Each one fulfills a different reason for me watching. Loving it. How about you?

Nearly all cooking shows...I have very little use for. When it comes to cooking shows, I can't stand "personalities," and that's what seems to drive so many of these shows.

As such, if I'm going to watch a show, it's probably a PBS show. I love just about anything Jacques Pepin does. I loved America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country before Chris Kimball left.

Right now, I'm watching some of Laura Calder's "French Food At Home," and old episodes of Pepin's "Fast Food My Way" on YT and DailyMotion.

Way too many cooking competion shows on now. The original Iron Chef and Iron Chef America were fun to watch, and showed some good cooking techniques. Dinner, Drive-ins and Dives was pure entertainment, but they were honest about that. Guy's Grocery Games is a joke.

Not a big fan of ATK, with our without Chris Kimball.

There are some food shows on YouTube that I like. Binging with Babsish and Basics with Babbish are entertaining and educational. Sorted Food out of London is fun and educational. Food Wishes with Chef John is always good. I miss the Bon Appetite shows, especially the Brad Leone episodes.

CD

I like shows from Roger Mooking, which are always about cooking with fire. Here is a segment of one show from Man Fire Food.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PFn4em_KLw

CD

Great clips caseydog did you see the drum I put up. The pic? It's basically the same as what they did except my way is easier and quicker. Same as the Maori used to do it here hundreds of years ago. My food al goes in baskets and put in drum. There's a double gas burner at the bottom.

Russ

Another YouTube show I LOVE. Prime Time (on Eater channel). Two professional whole animal butchers that like to experiment and then teach. And, they are two funny people. If you like food shows to be entertaining, but mostly educational, this is a show you need to watch. Here is one video on three kinds of bacon, that Americans and Europeans should like...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIpI9xGh2hI

CD

Last edited:
I am into "Chopped" now. Loving the weird food twist(s) in the contestant's baskets and am continuously amazed at what they come up with and prepare. Awhile ago, one DD and I were into "Hell's Kitchen" with Gordon Ramsey. That show was more for kicks and his pretentious chewing out of the Chefs in competition. I have found myself turning on the Barefoot Contessa i.e. Ina Garten as well as "Giada" and "Beat Bobby Flay." I have also watched "Worst Cooks in America" and "Guy's Grocery Games." Each one fulfills a different reason for me watching. Loving it. How about you?

Most of those are contests which I can't stand. They need to get back to actual "Cooking Shows" where they actually cook.

Great clips caseydog did you see the drum I put up. The pic? It's basically the same as what they did except my way is easier and quicker. Same as the Maori used to do it here hundreds of years ago. My food al goes in baskets and put in drum. There's a double gas burner at the bottom.

Russ

Pit barrel cookers are very popular here, and they work well, but most burn wood, not gas. A barrel cooker is a good cooker, but it is not the same as a pit in the ground. One uses residual heat from bricks, rocks and the ground. The other uses direct heat from something burning inside, like wood... or gas. But, as you say, your barrel is quicker and easier.

CD

Pit barrel cookers are very popular here, and they work well, but most burn wood, not gas. A barrel cooker is a good cooker, but it is not the same as a pit in the ground. One uses residual heat from bricks, rocks and the ground. The other uses direct heat from something burning inside, like wood... or gas. But, as you say, your barrel is quicker and easier.

CD

My drum has a hole about 6 inches from the bottom, about 4mm and water is filled up to that hole. Meat lies on a rack about another 4 inches up from that. The hole acts like a pressure cooker with excess juices coming out of the hole as it heats. The food really is amazing. Hangi here are covered in wet sacks then dirt. Too much work for me.

Russ

My drum has a hole about 6 inches from the bottom, about 4mm and water is filled up to that hole. Meat lies on a rack about another 4 inches up from that. The hole acts like a pressure cooker with excess juices coming out of the hole as it heats. The food really is amazing. Hangi here are covered in wet sacks then dirt. Too much work for me.

Russ

I wasn't trying to dismiss your barrel cooker, I was just saying it isn't the same -- which is okay! If the food that comes out of it is good, that's all I really care about. But, I do get impressed with food that tastes good, and takes 10 hours to cook in a hole in the ground -- I'm not going to do that.

CD

I wasn't trying to dismiss your barrel cooker, I was just saying it isn't the same -- which is okay! If the food that comes out of it is good, that's all I really care about. But, I do get impressed with food that tastes good, and takes 10 hours to cook in a hole in the ground -- I'm not going to do that.

CD

When I watched the vid my brain started saying, you can do this? But I dismissed it when I saw all the work. If I was 20 years younger I would build it. I have a brick layer friend and my neighbour across the road is one also. Mine btw cooks for three hrs.honky hangi aka lazy mans hangi. The vegetables are amazing as well. I'll look at other stuff that guy has done tomorrow. :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom