Cooking Slump!

Local time
4:16 PM
Help me get out of my cooking slump! I've been so incredibly busy the last couple weeks, and my schedule isn't set to die down for another 2 at least, so I need fast, tasty, and not too expensive meal ideas. My kids are getting tired of having the same things over and over again. I need high protein meals and preferable low calorie for my husband who is training for a triathlon. I think they are all ready to cut chicken out of their diet forever because it's my go-to on busy days!

I am glad you brought this up. I am not in a cooking slump but it's always good to have some healthy food choices that are easy to provide and sometimes until someone raises the subject, you really don't pay attention. I don't know if this link will help or if the ideas are practical for you. I see one of two I would give a try. For stuff like this Pinterest is my best friend and they take you everywhere.

http://skinnyms.com/21-clean-lunches-that-can-be-prepared-in-under-10-minutes/#_a5y_p=1189759

All I have to say is Rachael Ray! She specializes in quick healthy meals, so I am sure you will fill find something on her website to help you out with your quick food adventures. I have learned to start making meals ahead of time when I have a good solid day with nothing to do. I will cook up some meals and then stick them in the freezer, so they are there when I do not have time too cook. I t makes my life just a little easier.

Thank you for the suggestions. They both are excellent resources. Winterybella, I use Pinterest a lot, especially when I'm already at the grocery store and need to come up with something to make. It has helped out of a lot of pinches! Rosyrain, I am definitely a fan of Rachael Ray's recipes. She makes some delicious food and many of them of very frugal and time-saving.

What's faster than spaghetti? Add jar sauce and the protein of your choice as needed. You may want to start planning meals well ahead and creating menus to help you better organize the meals. When you're busy you don't have time to sort out what you're going to do. Deciding ahead of time makes it easier.

I'm a great believer that cooking at home on a daily bases should be fun and not a chore,cook off some mince for a bolognaise freeze half for a lasagna,maybe do a cauliflower cheese and again freeze some cheese sauce for the lasagna, I also do things like baked oven fish ,fresh or frozen and do a kedgeree that will contain some veg ,see where we are going ,a bit of planning in the down times ,use a slow cooker for a slow cooked brisket , and use for a roast or shred for wraps,fresh tomato sauce cooked in bulk can be frozen and used for many dishes ie meat balls or pasta,we Cook mash one day ,then for a cottage pie ,and mash can be used for mash cakes or fish cakes,
Hope this has given you something to think about

Plan out meals in advance. Eat oatmeal for breakfast, eggs also take very little time to cook. Invest in a crockpot or pressure cooker. They'll make your life a LOT easier. It's basically just dump a protein of choice in, add liquid and seasoning, close the lid. Simple.

I would suggest you look into cooking online that is specific to your area. Do you have a lot of 'specialty' stores in your area? Is there an ethnic element you may be ignoring? That's the best place to start. Open up to the idea that you can adapt to any ingredient available.

Crock pots are really easy to make dishes with as @queenbellevue said. You just throw all of your ingredients into the chamber and let it cook low and slow all day long. I have never been one to leave the pot going all day while I am at work because I am nervous something would go wrong. I do use it when I am not working and just check on the food every couple hours.

I like to cook my meat in advance and have bundles frozen so that when I get busy I can grab something, add sauce or rice to it and we are done. The meat does not need to be completely cooked when it is frozen so that it will be cooked by the time it has unthawed on the stove. My real quick is cut up turkey or chicken, wide egg noodle and white sauce done is less than 20 minutes.

I'm a fan of batch cooking too and usually have 3-4 meals in the freezer, ready to be taken out in the morning ready for that evening. I just make twice as much of a dish as I usually would, eat half that night and freeze the rest for another time.

Back
Top Bottom