Cooking Terms and Definitions

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
10:01 AM
I think this is a timely thread for some of us. I keep running into new cooking language, terminology and definitions and there ought to be a thread to share such things.

Here's a neat term and definition, for example ...

bricolage: A meal cooked from available ingredients, often creating something new and unusual.

And here's one for fun, to spawn some nostalgic comments ...

engine cooking: Cooking food on the heat of a vehicle engine.

Barding isn't as popular as it once was.

You should include the definition of Barding. I had to go look it up.

Barding: Cooking meats wrapped in fat.

I can understand why this is no longer popular. But it has its merits as fats impart much in the way of flavor to meats.

While I was looking up barding I found the following term ...

larding: Preparing a roast by threading strips of chilled pork fat through it.

This introduces an interesting flavor mix, if the roast is not a pork roast, but a beef roast, for sure.

Either they are cooking terms or they're not. Personally I don't see any grey area at all and if there's going to be a thread about the subject then I think it should at least be terms that are universally acceptable so people can retrieve pertinent information.

They are cooking terms.

Here's a new term for me that I only learned in this past few weeks.

dredging: To coat a meat with flour, bread crumbs or other ingredients prior to cooking (usually frying).

When I first read this term in a posted recipe online, it really had me scratching my head.

They seem to be terms about cooking, so I'd consider them "cooking terms."

garlichead - are you thinking more along the lines of professional cooking terminology, or terminology taught in a formal education setting, perhaps?
I've entered the twilight zone, thanks for the heads up. :highfive:

Here's another one:

I'm making a salad later, during which I will supreme an orange.

From Wikipedia: "To supreme a citrus fruit is to remove the skin, pith, membranes, and seeds, and to separate its segments. Used as a noun, a supreme can be a wedge of citrus fruit prepared in this way."

Back
Top Bottom