Cooking time saddle of deer

PabloLerntKochen

Über Member
Local time
5:37 PM
Hello, I need help with the saddle of deer, for a nice menu for 2 persons. I'm looking for a 1kg piece and I planned to pan-fry it first on high heat to brown it on all sides. Then I would like to finnish it inside of the pre-heaten oven, on a temperature, that's not to high, so the meat won't be stressed to much.

What temperature is good for a slowly roasted saddle of deer and how long would it take, to cook it medium?

Which cut of meat from the saddle? These are mostly prime tender cuts like the striploins for example. Cooking time will depend on how long you are browning before going in the oven, the temp of the oven etc. Best I can recommend is to use an internal temperature tool like an instant read thermometer.

We have venison striploin on the menu again and we cook and rest around 125 to 130 degrees which is med-rare. Medium we'll do if were forced to but venison starts to take on a liver taste, looks grey and is getting tough at that stage imo.

I didn't know there are special cuts for the saddle and thank you for the tip about grey meat, I'll try to cook it medium rare.
My plan was to brown it in the pan as fast as possible, so that the meat won't lose any juice later.

Edit: Pork fatback put in the meat, i also part of the plan.

Last edited:
After searching Google I found out 12-16 minutes on 160C/320F is a good method. They also warned about the different ovens, so I'll take out the thermometer and wait until it shows 56C/132F.

Back
Top Bottom