Cooking tips to maximise what you already have

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
4:24 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
http://www.buzzfeed.com/laurenpaul/cooking-tips-to-maximize-what-you-already-have#.kcE8ra78NY

I thought this was brilliant (and quite humorous!) but it was full of useful tips to use what you have around your house to help with cooking and food preparation.

Check out the list - then I'm curious to know if you've tried any of them before, or if perhaps you have a weird and crazy tip for us.

I have grated butter before, to just make it easier to work with.

I laughed hysterically at using a beaded necklace to make a fancy looking pie crust, but I guess whatever works, right?

I liked the one about frothing milk. I'm going to try this with almond milk... Also the one about ripening avocados. I wonder, though, if that could work in a microwave? I'm always looking for tricks and tips. Especially those which make it look like you're a brilliant chef (when, in fact it only took you a few minutes). One of my favourites is Parmesan Crisps. All you do is grate a thin layer of parmesan into circles onto a non-stick tray (I use baking parchment). You can use a circular pastry cutter to help form the circles if you want or just free-form!. Bake at 175 C for about 7 to 8 mins (until golden brown). Then cool on a wire rack. You can eat them as nibbles. But I like to cook just a few and stand them upright as a garnish in a starter. A bit like this:

cc7fb8ff864a1d01b82e3aea623092cb.jpg

You can also add herbs to them and/or roll them whilst warm to form cylinders.

We have stencils to shape the grated Parmesan and then bend them over rolling pins,
The cheapest crispy garnish for me is get a potato over the thin blades on a mandoline ,season and shape on a non stick mat and bake in oven till crisp on one side then flip over and finish the over side ,you can stand them up on a dish
I will try and post a picture,
I also finely slice citrus fruits and coat in sugar and dry them out in a hot cupboard or low oven you keep re coating them in sugar along the process
We are using edible flowers a lot at the moment as a garnish,I even forage them

We have stencils to shape the grated Parmesan and then bend them over rolling pins,
The cheapest crispy garnish for me is get a potato over the thin blades on a mandoline ,season and shape on a non stick mat and bake in oven till crisp on one side then flip over and finish the over side ,you can stand them up on a dish
I will try and post a picture,
I also finely slice citrus fruits and coat in sugar and dry them out in a hot cupboard or low oven you keep re coating them in sugar along the process
We are using edible flowers a lot at the moment as a garnish,I even forage them
All sounds wonderful! But, please tell me, do you have to oil the potato and what temperature and how long do they cook for?

No oil ,180 c and keep your eye on them , time depends on starch in potato
Thanks. I've done something similar in the microwave but its difficult to get the timing right. I'll try this method. I wonder, would it work with sweet potato? Matbe not as they have a lot of sugar which might burn.

Thanks. I've done something similar in the microwave but its difficult to get the timing right. I'll try this method. I wonder, would it work with sweet potato? Matbe not as they have a lot of sugar which might burn.
i doubt it would work ,I'm afraid its one of those easy jobs to do and easy to get it wrong ,sweet potato would have to much water in it and not enough starch

Back
Top Bottom