Cooking Utensils

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
3:15 PM
I've had a number of cooking utensils for some time now and they serve me for various purpose.

The most basic are a slotted spatula, a cooking spoon and a ladle.

full.jpg

For pasta, long string pasta, I have a pasta rake.

full.jpg

For other pasta, penne, cavitappi, etc., and vegetables, I have slotted spoons, particularly a large basket slotted spoon that works very well for the purpose.

full.jpg

What I don't show a picture of here is tongs. I have some tongs, but they came as part of my Instant Pot pressure cooker. I do use them for other things besides what gets cooked in the pressure cooker.

I've far too many! They need weeding...

The most used are wooden spoons, slotted spatula, tongs and perforated spoon (including a very handy small sized one).

I have a hard time letting go of old pots and old utensils. Last year wife encouraged me to upgrade cookware to stainless steel, but I still use the mixture of wooden spoons and hard plastic (rubber?) cooking spatulas & utensils. I don't like the way the new stainless utensils sound when they scrape the stainless pans. I've been brought up with non-stick, and therefor to avoid that at all costs hahaha.

I have about ten pair of tongs, in three sizes. :ohmy: I use them more than anything. I have one pair that is plastic tipped for non-stick. I hate them. I need to just get rid of them. Oh, OXO Good Grip tongs are the best I've ever found.

I use mostly metal utensils. I have a couple silicone spatulas to save my non-stick pans for certain foods. Otherwise, I use steel. No plastic. My fish spatulas get a lot of use. They are good for more than just fish.

CD

I started out with all plastic utensils - that stuff you can buy in a big bundle for $2 at the discount store.

I've since moved up, and what all-plastic stuff I have (which isn't much) is pretty heavy-duty. Most of my stuff is a metal-plastic/rubber mix, like plastic/rubber in the handle for comfort, but metal at the business end. I do have some silicon spatulas, and when I need a new utensil and I'm too lazy to research it, I buy OXO Good Grips, because their stuff is generally well-made and not terribly expensive.

I do have a metal ladle and a metal spider from IKEA that I like quite a bit. Haven't had them long, so I don't know how they'll wear, but I like them so far and when I bought them, I was impressed with the selection of utensils there.

Perhaps like many of us I have accumulated my kitchen utensils over many years, quite a few of them hand - me - downs from parents or picked up here and there; it's mostly good quality, the usual sort of spoons, ladles, fish slices, and so on, but not especially remarkable
They are mostly stainless steel, and wooden spoons & spatulas
I have one nylon? Religious Spoon (because it's Holey) that I won't bother replacing when it wears out

However, there are two items that I made an effort to find & buy -

A Y peeler with a large comfortable handle, possibly OXO or Good Grips

A Scotch Scraper, for transferring chopped veg etc from the chopping board to a pan

Oh yes, I've just remembered
Recently I bought a set of 3 utensils with wooden handles and flexible silicone rubber business ends - a spoon, a straight, and a rounded spatula
These are good for scraping out food, especially from non - stick pans

Last edited:
Perhaps like many of us I have accumulated my kitchen utensils over many years, quite a few of them hand - me - downs from parents or picked up here and there; it's mostly good quality, the usual sort of spoons, ladles, fish slices, and so on, but not especially remarkable
They are mostly stainless steel, and wooden spoons & spatulas
I have one nylon? Religious Spoon (because it's Holey) that I won't bother replacing when it wears out

However, there are two items that I made an effort to find & buy -

A Y peeler with a large comfortable handle, possibly OXO or Good Grips

A Scotch Scraper, for transferring chopped veg etc from the chopping board to a pan

Oh yes, I've just remembered
Recently I bought a set of 3 utensils with wooden handles and flexible silicone rubber business ends - a spoon, a straight, and a rounded spatula
These are good for scraping out food, especially from non - stick pans

A Scotch scraper is called a bench scraper here. Is a fish slices (typo?) a fish spatula? Oh, it took me a few seconds, but I got the "holey" spoon thing.

CD

Wow. I had another older set of tongs. There's no need to say which I prefer.

full.jpg

Back
Top Bottom