Cooking with aubergine/eggplant

It's not so complicated to cook, but surely some care is needed. For example, they must first be purged by sprinkling them with coarse salt, so that they lose their water and a little bitterness. Then it depends on how you want to cook them.
This. I usually grill them for a while too before using them in a dish, that makes them really soft and flavorful.

Eggplants, a bit outside of my wheelhouse, but i've cooked with these two types before (image not my own):
eggplant_9502.jpg

The "traditional" eggplant on the left and the "Chinese" eggplant on the right.
To be honest, I've cooked the Chinese eggplant more often. I recall using it in a stir-fry with minced pork and a heavy dose of garlic. It was delicious, and it might be time to make that again!

I grilled some eggplant/aubergine slices yesterday - to make a moussaka. About a dozen slices were left, so they will be "sandwiched" - a slice of mozzarella between - dipped in egg, breadcrumbs and gently fried. Served with a balsamic tomato sauce.

I grilled some eggplant/aubergine slices yesterday - to make a moussaka. About a dozen slices were left, so they will be "sandwiched" - a slice of mozzarella between - dipped in egg, breadcrumbs and gently fried. Served with a balsamic tomato sauce.

Your recipe sounds like something I made few days ago. Fried aubergine sandwich with prosciutto cotto (cooked ham) and cheese

What's the typical yield per plant? one at a time or a few?
When we grew them in our courtyard garden, we had 8 plants I think and more than the 2 of us could, or wanted to, eat. FYI though, I had to hand pollinate with a little clean paint brush. We had gotten blooms, but no eggplants until I decided to do that and then whoosh off they went. You'll have to start them in late October or November, too hot otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom