Cooking With Peanut Butter

Food4thought

Veteran
Local time
3:50 PM
Peanut butter is a tasty ingredient when you want to add protein to vegetarian dishes. You should use low-sugar or no-sugar peanut butter for cooking. I prefer the crunchy type when making sauce for vegetable dishes. I also use it in rice and pasta dishes.

Peanut butter can be combined with cider apple vinegar, wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar, and a little extra oil. This can be used as salad dressing or it added to plain cooked vegetables. I blend it into a little of the hot water the vegetables have been cooked in to make a thin sauce. I think this goes particularly well with cooked cabbage.

I would welcome any other ideas for cooking with PB.

I would hazard a guess that wherever tahini is used, you could potentially use peanut butter as well (unsure about its use in humus though :sick: ), as well as any of the other nut butters because they are all very similar in style/nature. I did know of some recipes for biscuits/cookies (UK style) that used peanut butter, but sadly no longer have them.

I am a big fan of peanut butter and it is a main source of protein for me. Sounds like you have quite a bit of knowledge about cooking with it. Do a Google search and you should come up with an abundance of recipes.

I recently became a fan of peanut butter and what all I could do with it. I never knew peanut butter could be a salad dressing or a sauce until I googled some recipes. The only thing I don't like in peanut butter is pie.

Nice to see some of these ideas that I've never thought of before! I know I'd enjoy peanut butter in a salad dressing... I'm not sure about the apple cider vinegar mixture, though. What kind of flavor does that produce with such a strong vinegar?

I've been wanting to experiment with some more exotic salad dressings... this may be a good place to start!

Nice to see some of these ideas that I've never thought of before! I know I'd enjoy peanut butter in a salad dressing... I'm not sure about the apple cider vinegar mixture, though. What kind of flavor does that produce with such a strong vinegar?

I've been wanting to experiment with some more exotic salad dressings... this may be a good place to start!
I'm a big fan of apple cider vinegar so I use it a lot in dressings. Mixing with peanut butter does remove some of the sharpness, but if you really don't like apple cider vinegar it may not be to your taste.

In Indonesia they make a sweet spicy sauce or dip that they eat with satays and salads. It's normally made with crushed peanuts but many restaurants use chunky peanut butter for the convenience. You can make it by mixing chunky (or smooth, depending on your preference) peanut butter with sweet soy sauce (what they call kecap manis in Indonesia) , sugar, oil, dried chili powder, crushed garlic, crushed ginger, some bits of lemongrass and water. Cook on a medium low flame until the mixture thickens slightly. You could also add some turmeric powder and a pinch of cumin.

I'm a big fan of apple cider vinegar so I use it a lot in dressings. Mixing with peanut butter does remove some of the sharpness, but if you really don't like apple cider vinegar it may not be to your taste.

Do you think the white distilled would work just as well? You mentioned balsamic... so I may try that.

While we're on the subject, would you know how to make "Brown Sugar Balsamic Vinaigrette?" I had some over an *incredible* salad while traveling last month and haven't been able to duplicate it.

Do you think the white distilled would work just as well? You mentioned balsamic... so I may try that.

While we're on the subject, would you know how to make "Brown Sugar Balsamic Vinaigrette?" I had some over an *incredible* salad while traveling last month and haven't been able to duplicate it.

I'm not sure that distilled vinegar would do, but red or white wine vinegar would be good.

Brown sugar vinaigrette could also be made with wine vinegar and olive oil plus, of course, some nice brown sugar. It could also be made with balsamic vinegar, or you could add a little grape juice to wine vinegar for a similar taste.

There is this one recipe that use Peanut Butter.. It is an Asian dish and it is called "Kare Kare". It is an awesome dish! Check the recipe in google.. :)

Brown sugar vinaigrette could also be made with wine vinegar and olive oil plus, of course, some nice brown sugar. It could also be made with balsamic vinegar, or you could add a little grape juice to wine vinegar for a similar taste.

Thank you, Food4thought... I really need to duplicate that dressing so that I can make the salad. It was so good that I'm already planning to look for it again on our next vacation there... that's 10 months away, so it's saying a lot about how good it was! :)

What an inventive use of peanut butter, good thinking Kate! I won't be able to use peanut-butter in my dishes as I'm a vegetarian with a nut allergy (yes, I know unfortunate indeed) but I have a few extended family members and friends who are also vegetarians, so I'll pass this information on to them.

There is this one recipe that use Peanut Butter.. It is an Asian dish and it is called "Kare Kare". It is an awesome dish! Check the recipe in google.. :)
Kare-kare is one of my favorite Filipino dishes. Because it can be rather mild, I like to eat it with plain steamed rice and shrimp paste (bagoong) with a dash of calamansi lime juice.

When I was coming along, there was something called Peanut Butter stew. It was made like most any other stew except it was made with chicken and about two cups of peanut butter.

Don't know from where the recipe originated but I think I will look it up this weekend.

Reactions: BWF
Peanuts and peanut butter are used in savoury dishes in West Africa. A Senegalese friend told me that in her native land, a popular traditional recipe is made with crushed peanuts or peanut butter just like kare-kare and is usually made with beef or other types of red meat.

Back
Top Bottom