Cooking with wine

missbishi

Veteran
Local time
12:53 AM
I was just thinking about cooking with wine. Opinions on what to use seem to differ greatly. Many people are of the opinion that you use red wine for red meats/game and white wine for chicken etc. However, I've heard recently that it really doesn't make any difference and to simply use whatever is open.

What does everyone else think? And what are your favourite dishes that involve wine?

Can you cook with old wine? I have a bottle of red I opened 2 weeks ago. I don't think it would taste great for drinking anymore, but maybe I could use it for cooking now. I usually never have this problem... :rolleyes: but I've been sick for a while so have't wanted to drink anything.

I have cooked with white wine a lot but not with red. All I can think of is beef bourguignon. I would be interested in any other ideas too.

I was just thinking about cooking with wine. Opinions on what to use seem to differ greatly. Many people are of the opinion that you use red wine for red meats/game and white wine for chicken etc. However, I've heard recently that it really doesn't make any difference and to simply use whatever is open.

What does everyone else think? And what are your favourite dishes that involve wine?

It most certainly does make a difference! Pairing wine with food is a bit of an art, but if you understand the basics it doesn't have to be terribly complicated. Choosing a wine to cook with really is dependent upon a) your taste (flavors you prefer) and preference (wine types, styles), and what you are cooking. Coq au vin AKA chicken with wine, is made with red wine.

Can you cook with old wine? I have a bottle of red I opened 2 weeks ago. I don't think it would taste great for drinking anymore, but maybe I could use it for cooking now. I usually never have this problem... :rolleyes: but I've been sick for a while so have't wanted to drink anything.

I have cooked with white wine a lot but not with red. All I can think of is beef bourguignon. I would be interested in any other ideas too.

It really depends on the age and quality of the wine and how you have kept it stored for the two weeks. You'll need to taste it and pour some into a glass and look at it. If it tastes like vinegar, pour it back and make vinegar. If it tastes dull and flat, but has stuff floating in it, dump it or use it for something else.

I cook with wine a lot. By the time the cooking is done there isn't any wine left. And the food still tastes wonderful.
(That was a joke by the way, the fact there isn't any wine left is because I drank it all while cooking)

Some chefs say: if you don't like to drink it don't cook with it, others say: go with a good quality wine, others say: cheap wine is ok to cook with so if you are new to cooking with wine then it can be a bit confusing.

Some dishes warrant a good wine or port and Madeira but for stocks I use seasoned wine as it comes in 5 litres and you don't pay duty

I have tried it before. It is a special pork dish in grapes. We add red wine to it. It tastes good. I also seen lot of dishes in the internet which uses wine as an ingredient. We have some pork and chicken in white wine sauce. There are also wines in baking cakes and cookies.

I love cooking with wine, beer, & certain liquors. I think there's an added level of flavour other things can only try to provide. It's tough to suggest a dish. I like to suggest a dish based on your preferred wine or beer.

Occasionally I cook with wine. I always use white wine for my garlic pasta recipe and my roommate loves mushrooms sauteed in red wine. Personally I am allergic to red wine but it doesn't matter, because I don't eat mushrooms. LOL

I have used wine in my red sauce, it gives the sauce more body and a more distictive taste.

Back
Top Bottom