CookingBites Dish of the Month (June): Savoury Pies & Pasties

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:03 AM
Each month we choose a different and accessible dish so that most of us can join in, cook and post the results. This month, savoury pies and pasties has been chosen. For the purposes of this 'challenge' this is defined as a savoury filling topped with or enclosed in pastry, so includes savoury 'pies and pasties' from around the world such as samosas, bureek, tiropita and so on.

Please join in and tell us about the savoury pies or pasties you create during June. Innovation is positively encouraged. All you need to do is post a description and/or photo of your dish. If you want to post a recipe please post it as new thread and link back to this thread. PM me (or another moderator) if you need help to do this.

Samosas based on this recipe recommended by @rascal. Its from Indian Cooking by Elizabeth Fulton. They are supposed to be deep fried but as I didn't have enough oil, I baked them. Somehow I managed to cut the pastry up wrongly and couldn't make big enough triangles - so I made little pastie shapes. They tasted good though:

fullsizeoutput_494f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_494b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4948.jpeg

My wife doesn't cook as everyone knows..... But she will make samosa pockets, she watched a you tube on how to do it. I couldn't do it big she pretty much got it right. Yours look good mg. my first time I made were the same as yours, my son suggested I mash the potatoe to spread the flavour around. He was right. Just a tip for next time. Did you and her other half enjoy them?? I have a deep frier so coo kings a breeze. Did you freeze some?

Russ

Stupid thing is that I know how to shape the triangles for samosas as I've done it before - but I stupidly cut the dough into squares that were too small, so that cutting them into triangles would have resulted in pixie sized samosas!

I quite like the chunks of potato but I can see that mashing a bit would also work. Partner ate them all except for the one I ate! I have a deep fryer too but it hasn't been used in a while and had no oil in it.

Your samosas look almost domed - but a more authentic shape than mine. Did you deep fry them?

I sort of deep fried them but the oil wasn't deep enough to totally cover them, so still had to turn them. I was trying a different (quite traditional) method to form them, circles cut in half and then the half circle formed in to a cone shape. But my pastry was a little soft, so the pointy end of the cone was turning inside out most the time.... hence the rounder shape. Lol...

Well I made some I hadn't tried before but I didn't like the pastry but that's probably because I didn't deep fry them but cooked them in the oven and I think therefore it would have been better off using a shortcrust pastry for that.
The filling, well, the least said the better. The volumes of ingredients didn't seem to work. The recipe called for 2 leeks finely chopped, along with 3 or 4 spring onions and just 12 oz of mash potato. I couldn't mix 1 leek with 150% of that volume of mash (I'd done extra for our evening meal) along with the spring onions. There was way too much filling for the volume of pastry (500g flour) even leaving out one of the leeks. Plus I didn't think much of the taste of the filling either. But hubby had taken some to work with him for lunch so maybe they are better than I think (?).

Perhaps they'll taste better today? The recipe is from Vegistan (cookery book).

20190618_145802.jpg

Next time I'll stick with my tried and trusted aromatic vegetable pasties or maybe try veganising my mushroom turnovers which should be easy to do.

Back
Top Bottom