CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Parsley

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:41 PM
[Mod.Edit] Please note the challenge has been amended to Parsley alone. Apologies for any inconvenience]

Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. Our judge @MypinchofItaly who won the previous challenge has chosen Parsley as the next ingredient.

742271265_e27c6d1532_z.jpg

To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe featuring parsley as a new thread, tag it "CookingBites Recipe Challenge" and post a link to it in this thread. The challenge will provisionally run for three weeks, ending at 12:00 midday on the 30th May BST (GMT+1)

Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

Last edited:
Great choice. Now, I have to check all the parsley-based and coriander (cilantro) recipes that I have already posted that I can't include. :laugh:

I have to ask: does this include the newly "discovered" parsley root? Likewise, if you were to find a shop that sells coriander with the root, could we also include the root?

Great choice. Now, I have to check all the parsley-based and coriander (cilantro) recipes that I have already posted that I can't include. :laugh:

I have to ask: does this include the newly "discovered" parsley root? Likewise, if you were to find a shop that sells coriander with the root, could we also include the root?

Sorry, nope, because although it is a 'parsley root', it is a root, challenge is about the leaves

Last edited:

Funny you should mention that because I recently acquired some parsley root. Its delicious. [EDIT]: oops! I realised you are linking to the post I made about it!

Sorry, nope, because although it is a 'parsley root', it is a root, challenge is about the leaves
Can you please pick one or the other (parsley or coriander) :okay:

The challenge is a single ingredient and has only incorporated alternatives when something hasn't been available in another country or wasn't vegan/vegetarian.

Thank you.
SNSSO

Both growing in my garden, although cilantro looking a bit tatty.

Russ
Sadly both have finished in my garden and in having to buy it in. Too cold now to get coriander growing but I may be able to get parsley up and running assuming my chooks don't decide to stuff themselves (pun intended!).

Sadly both have finished in my garden and in having to buy it in. Too cold now to get coriander growing but I may be able to get parsley up and running assuming my chooks don't decide to stuff themselves (pun intended!).

Looking for cabbage in the garden, found some basil that's usable, out of the way of frosts. Coriander nearly gone to seed.

Russ

Can you please pick one or the other (parsley or coriander) :okay:

The challenge is a single ingredient and has only incorporated alternatives when something hasn't been available in another country or wasn't vegan/vegetarian.

Thank you.
SNSSO

So, Parsley :)

We rarely use it and only as an ingredient in a dish, not a featured ingredient. Even in my meatball recipe, I sub fresh oregano for it.

We rarely use it and only as an ingredient in a dish, not a featured ingredient. Even in my meatball recipe, I sub fresh oregano for it.

I think that (sadly perhaps) parsley is often regarded as a minor player and there aren't many recipes where its the 'main' ingredient. At least I don't think so. Parsley sauce and various dishes like chimichurri and some pesto-like dishes feature it dominantly. Its also good in simple pasta dishes. Oh - and Chicken Kiev?

But hey! This is a challenge and I rather like a challenge!

I think that (sadly perhaps) parsley is often regarded as a minor player and there aren't many recipes where its the 'main' ingredient. At least I don't think so. Parsley sauce and various dishes like chimichurri and some pesto-like dishes feature it dominantly. Its also good in simple pasta dishes. Oh - and Chicken Kiev?

The reason why we rarely use it is that we don't particularly like the way it tastes or the texture (even the flat leaf) in things where it is used predominantly. If a recipe calls for it, it is either omitted, replaced or greatly reduced in quantity.

And Gremolata… Osso buco anyone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom