CookingBites Test Kitchen

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:40 AM
This is a new feature on CookingBites as suggested by Wyshiepoo.

This is the place to ask other members to test a recipe and/or offer suggestions for improving it. It could be a recipe from a trusted source that you've tried making a few times and its either failed or not tasted that good. Or it might be your own recipe where you would value another opinion or simply want someone else to try it out to be sure it works. Either way you can post a link to the recipe in this thread and invite others to try it out and/or make suggestions.

Please note: no whole recipes please in this thread - recipes must always be in a thread of there own. Simply post a link to the recipe in this thread. Please also add your reasons for asking it to be tested in the recipe thread.

To avoid confusion, all suggestions should be made in the recipe thread, not this thread.

Last edited:
Morning Glory, could you please sticky this thread so that it will always stay at the top & be easy to find? Thanks. :whistling:

Last edited:
Could this be a place for my "experiments with air fried chips" synopsis?

Well as i asked for the thread so maybe I should be first to use it?

I made Chicken with Spiced Coconut Cream for the second time recently and although it was better the second time we both thought that there was something missing tastewise. I'm wondering if it was simply not enough salt, as I tend to be a little miserly with salt as too much can ruin a meal, plus there are health considerations.

The second time i tried it I upped the garlic to 2 cloves, used 4 chillies plus I used some homemade chicken stock. And as I've mentioned already it was better but we both felt it could be better. I also cooked a prawn recipe from the same book yesterday and I was a lot more liberal with the salt and that meal was really good.

So any ideas peeps? If any of you are at a loose end in deciding what to cook would be great if you could try it and pass judgement.

Recipe - Chicken in Spiced Coconut Cream.

The Complete Book of Indian Cooking: Veronica Sperling & Christine McFadden: 9780752520568: Amazon.com: Books

Now this one I would really like some help on. I've made several attempts over the years and each time its ended in abject failure much to my family's amusement. In each case the traybake rises but then quickly collapses leaving a kind of biscuit thin (but still quite tasty) layer in the bottom of the tray.
I suppose the easy answer is to give up and just use another recipe but I'm not built that way, it annoys me that it doesn't work!

I found the recipe in a book but I've also found it copied identically on the internet including the disparity in cooking temperature.

My own thoughts are that possibly a 12" square tray is too large for the amount of mix but I've tried a smaller tray with no better results.

And I've tried the two different temperatures with again, no really different results.

Would be grateful if someone could try it and see if they get better results, perhaps I'm over mixing or something? Or if someone knowledgeable could say "Aha, there's your problem."

Incidentally, someone once said that to them the recipe looked more like for an American thingy called a 'blondie'.

Recipe - Chocolate Chip Traybake.

Guess we need to decide where answers/suggestions should go to keep things straight.

Guess we need to decide where answers/suggestions should go to keep things straight.
I stuck it in two threads because Morning Glory suggested that we don't put actual recipes in the test kitchen thread and put a link to the recipe instead.

Thanks for the advice so far, very valuable.

One other thing I've just thought of is that my old oven wasn't particularly accurate with its temperature. It used to be much hotter than you set it at.
Now I've got a new oven I might try this recipe again.
After all, as somebody historically said, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try, try, try, try again."

I stuck it in two threads because Morning Glory suggested that we don't put actual recipes in the test kitchen thread and put a link to the recipe instead.

Thanks for the advice so far, very valuable.
No, no, didn't mean it that way, but whether the "fixes" should be in this thread or the recipe thread. To me, it makes sense to put in the recipe thread so we aren't bouncing between 2 threads looking at different people's suggestions, but that's just my opinion.

Plus, we don't want somebody trying a recipe off here that doesn't work for whatever reason.

And you are very welcome.

Back
Top Bottom