Coriander (cilantro) and other green herbs

Timenspace

Guru
Local time
9:22 PM
coriander
Often I get confused about Coriander...there are quite a few other names used for it? If I am not totally off? Or are they differing?
Parsley( am not googling right now, just my pure ignorance revealed)🙈? Petersilium(🙈🙈)... ?

Often I get confused about Coriander...there are quite a few other names used for it? If I am not totally off? Or are they differing?
Parsley( am not googling right now, just my pure ignorance revealed)🙈? Petersilium(🙈🙈)... ?
You may be thinking coriander/cilantro/parsley. What we call Italian flat leaf parsley here in the US looks almost identical to cilantro, but they're much different in taste.

I may be wrong, but I think here, we use the word coriander to specifically mean dried cilantro.

You may be thinking coriander/cilantro/parsley. What we call Italian flat leaf parsley here in the US looks almost identical to cilantro, but they're much different in taste.

I may be wrong, but I think here, we use the word coriander to specifically mean dried cilantro.

I thought what I call fresh coriander is what you call fresh cilantro. However, I believe we both call the seeds coriander (strange).

To me "curly" parsley and "flat leaf" parsley are different. Strangely enough the Thais call coriander leaf "patchee" and parsley "patchee farang" (westerner coriander).

In the US, coriander refers to the seeds. The plant is cilantro.

CD

Yes, cilantro was the one I could not remember without Google...interesting! The scent and taste I believe I could differentiate between celery leaves and parsley, now the seeds, not sure if I tasted them as such ever...I really need to study that and then buy and chew all of them...will re-read this!
Pictures help a lot!

Yes, cilantro was the one I could not remember without Google...interesting! The scent and taste I believe I could differentiate between celery leaves and parsley, now the seeds, not sure if I tasted them as such ever...I really need to study that and then buy and chew all of them...will re-read this!
Pictures help a lot!View attachment 59869
In that picture, we'd call the one on the left celeriac or celery root, the one in the middle celery, and cilantro for the one on the right (although Italian flat leaf parsley looks exactly the same).

In that picture, we'd call the one on the left celeriac or celery root, the one in the middle celery, and cilantro for the one on the right (although Italian flat leaf parsley looks exactly the same).

I've grown flat leaf parsley, and it didn't look anything like the center photo. That looks like celery, to me. I agree that the one on the left looks like celery root. The one on the right definitely looks like cilantro (coriander).

CD

I've grown flat leaf parsley, and it didn't look anything like the center photo. That looks like celery, to me. I agree that the one on the left looks like celery root. The one on the right definitely looks like cilantro (coriander).

CD

Yes to the celery root and celery, but cilantro does NOT look exactly like flat leaf parsley. Celery leaves are kind of sharp and pointy. Cilantro leaves are rounded. Flat leaf parsley leaves are kind of inbetween the other 2.

Chervil? Shouldn't this be included in your cilantro, parsley, celery discussion?

Chervil? Shouldn't this be included in your cilantro, parsley, celery discussion?

yep and it does kind of look like cilantro, more so than parsley anyway. I don't think I have ever seen a chervil plant for sale (or seeds for that matter), though it would probably bolt just like cilantro does here as soon as we get the first hot spring weather, which we are having now and for the next week or so, mid to high 80s for the highs, mid to high70s for the lows.

The middle one looks like celery upper parts, you are right🤔...cilantro is what my Grandma used a lot, quite strong flavour, usually topping salads or soups, fresh...in Bulgarian we called it Magdanoz, and in Croatian Peršin...

We have not used Celery uppers, as the middle photo...I remember it from movies, when it posed as a cool snack...

Celery root is amazing, I love it, in soups bit also fresh, grated, in a Ceasar's salad( celery,apples, mayo, walnuts) or some do not call it that...

Back
Top Bottom