Recipe Corn and Crab Chowder

CraigC

Guru
Local time
12:08 AM
The corn and crab complement each other in this chowder (chowda for New Englanders). I've seen many "crab" dishes where the crab gets lost in the other ingredients. That, to me is a waste of expensive jumbo lump crab meat. The use of celery, green bell pepper and onion (trinity) hints of Creole and/or Cajun roots.

Ingredients
6 bacon slices (streaky)
2 celery ribs, diced
1 medium-size green bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups fresh corn kernels (6 ears)
1 pound fresh lump crab meat, drained and picked over for shells
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Oyster crackers (optional)
Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Directions
1) Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in Dutch oven. Crumble bacon.
2) Sauté celery and next 3 ingredients in hot drippings 5 to 6 minutes or until tender.
3) Whisk together broth and flour until smooth. Add to celery mixture. Stir in corn. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Gently stir in crab meat and next 4 ingredients; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
4) Serve warm with crumbled bacon, oyster crackers and garnish, if desired.

Lovely recipe! I shall be cooking lunch at home this Thursday and am now torn between this and trying mussels in @medtran49 's coconut, lime and cilantro sauce. Brown crabs and spider crabs are currently in season here.

Back
Top Bottom