Recipe Corn Casserole

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
6:19 PM
I used Paula Deen's Corn Casserole recipe as the basis for a casserole last night. I used a can of creamed corn, and then, instead of a can or kernel corn, I substituted the Roasted Mexican Corn I made the other night, but added 2 cans, because I wanted it to be hearty. I used a 9" x 12" pan, because that's what I have, and also added some extra cornmeal, with a splash of half and half. I didn't have sour cream, so I substituted half onion dip (the sour cream kind, for potato chips), and half cottage cheese. I didn't have enough shredded cheese, so i just blended it into the mix, rather than topping the casserole with it later.

It came out delicious. Next time, I will add an egg, just because I love eggs, and will have more shredded cheese next time. I usually incorporate it into the mix, and then also top it just prior to finishing cooking it, so it's not quite as cheesy as i'd have liked., but it was delicious.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/corn-casserole-recipe.html

This is the base recipe I used to make the Mexican Oven Roasted Corn the other night, but, of course, I made some substitutions on this, as well.

http://mexican.food.com/recipe/authentic-mexican-roasted-corn-on-the-cob-206134

How would you eat this? Is it a side dish? We don't really do much at all with corn in the UK. We eat it on the cob, or stir-fry baby corn on the cob or have it out of cans as a side dish.

I eat it however I want, as usual. I don't necessarily follow what others do, so I'm sure many would simply use it as a side dish, but I have things like this for lunch, snacks, as a side with dinner, or even for breakfast, on occasion. It's really tasty, especially since this one has a more savory flavor than the usual corn casserole. I used to make corn casseroles for office potlucks, and would make 2 varieties, a sweet one, and a Mexican style one, similar to this. Both were popular, but the Mexican version was always the hands down favorite.

I am just not a corn pie lover. I have NEVER even attempted one and everyone in my family outside of the house seem to like it. I go to lunch and it's the one dish I won't even taste. I guess I like corn as is or scattered for want of a better word. I have a girlfriend who says she doesn't want it at her functions because it looks like cat food.

Back
Top Bottom