TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
7:00 PM
CORN-STUFFED PORK CHOPS
Serves 6

Ingredients
6 bone-in center-loin pork chops (1-inch thick and about 10oz each)
3/4 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp pepper, divided
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 TBsp butter
1-1/2 cups cubed bread, toasted
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/4 cup egg substitute
2 TBsp chopped pimento
1/4 tsp ground cumin

Directions
Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray before starting grill. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a grill pan.

Cut a pocket in each chop by making a horizontal slice almost to the bone; sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper in pockets. Set aside.

In a nonstick skillet, sauté green pepper and onion in butter until tender. Transfer to a small bowl. Add the bread crumbs, corn, egg substitute, pimento, cumin, and remaining salt and pepper. Mix well, then stuff into pork chops, and secure pocket with wooden toothpicks.

Grill chops, covered, over medium indirect heat for 15-18 minutes per side or until a meat thermometer inserted into stuffing registers 160F.

Rest chops for 5 minutes, then serve.

Recipe courtesy of "The Taste Of Home Cookbook."

NOTE: I used a beaten egg instead of egg substitute.

The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Corn

This is another "Aunt Bea's Church Supper," dish, something that's not fancy or involved, just good, basic "country" cooking.

Be very mindful of the temp, as this is very easy to overcook. Next time I do this, I'd probably brine the chops for a bit ahead of time.

MrsTasty was on a phone call, so we ate separately, and when she was done, she came out of her office and said, "Whatever the hell this is, don't lose the recipe!" That's a pretty good endorsement. 👍🏻

That looks fantastic, I am definitely going to try this recipe. Corn and pork go really well together. I am glad you used a real egg, as I have no idea what egg substitute is!

Stuffed chops are really common here, and stuffed chicken breasts as well. I've probably (unintentionally) got several dozen recipes for stuffed chops.

Stuffed chicken breasts are common here too - it may just be me but I haven't come across a stuffed pork chop - stuffed loin or tenderloin of pork yes.

Yes it's strange, I've never seen pork chops stuffed before. The only regular cuts of meat that we tend to stuff here are chicken, fillet steak or pork tenderloin. This has opened up a whole new world of opportunities!

For some reason I've never thought about (or come across) a stuffed pork chop. Nice idea and it looks good.
Yes it's strange, I've never seen pork chops stuffed before. The only regular cuts of meat that we tend to stuff here are chicken, fillet steak or pork tenderloin. This has opened up a whole new world of opportunities!
I mentioned this earlier, but this is exactly what I like about this forum.

Stuffed pork chops are so common here, they're kind of a ho-hum dish, meaning, "🥱 Stuffed pork chops for dinner 🥱" - they're just basic Sunday supper cooking, and I'll bet I could go to the magazine rack right now, pick up just about any cooking mag, and find a stuffed pork chop recipe, with variations, in each and every one.

Even making them, I almost eliminated posting them, because to me, it's like posting a big plate of standard macaroni-and-cheese - tastes good, excellent comfort food, but do you really need to see another picture or recipe for basic macaroni-and-cheese? Probably not, so to get a couple of remarks from elsewhere, saying "how unusual," (more or less), is really quite delightful. Thanks!

Ok, just for fun, I texted my mom and all my siblings, shared my photo, and asked, "How do you like your pork chop stuffed?"

Mom: sage stuffing, like you have at Thanksgiving
Bro1: asparagus and provolone
Bro2: mushrooms and Swiss cheese
Bro3: pork sausage
Bro4: "I ain't eatin' that crap!"
Sis: apple-onion-raisins-cheddar or cornbread stuffing

Now, if you think Bro3 was being funny, he wasn't. Pork-stuffed pork chops are pretty easy to find around here,

Now, if you think Bro3 was being funny, he wasn't. Pork-stuffed pork chops are pretty easy to find around here,

Its minced (ground) pork? I hope it has some herbs or spices in it.

My reaction:

Mom is good - sage works perfectly with pork.
Bro1 - gets a vote for the asparagus.
Bro2 - Yes I can see that working, The musky mushrooms and sweet Swiss cheese.
Bro3 - Depends on how its seasoned.
Bro4 - What does he eat normally?
Sis - I like the apple, raisin, cheddar. Its almost Middle Eastern.

I vote for Mom. :okay:

Its minced (ground) pork? I hope it has some herbs or spices in it.
Yes, like loose pork sausage.

Bro4 - What does he eat normally?
You've opened a can of worms with this one. He's the pickiest eater I've ever known.

He'll eat cheeseburgers, but with ketchup only. Same with hot dogs. He'll eat macaroni-and-cheese, but it can't be anything "edgy," and his preference is the boxed stuff. He'll eat spaghetti with tomato sauce, but just plain jarred sauce, and he'll have deviled eggs, but nothing unusual like horseradish or hot sauce in them.

Breakfast...doughnuts and/or bacon, and/or a scrambled egg sandwich with lots mayo. He drinks only Mountain Dew (neon green fizzy drink/soda pop) and the only candy he'll eat is Snickers. He has a dedicated Mountain Dew/Snickers fridge in his house.

Fast food - he'll eat at McDonald's, that's it. He gets two cheeseburgers, pulls the buns apart, throws out the bun from each burger that has the onions on it, scrapes the other stuff off if needed, then puts the burger patties together with the two "clean" buns.

He'll also eat plain cheese pizza.

That's his entire diet, that's it.

Blimey - no vegetables or fruit? Is he healthy? Well, I suppose tomato sauce counts - I should think he is likely to be very vitamin deficient amongst other things.
I should add, yes he does get a vegetable - McD's fries.

He's...healthier?...than he has been in years, as he's just quit smoking and he gets a bit of exercise every day. He's a truck driver, so his job is sitting on his butt all day.

Sounds a bit morbid, but us brothers have a sort of pool on how we're going to die. Our oldest brother, we've pegged him to be murdered by a jealous lover, or he'll set himself on fire while drunk (that's already happened), the next older, by heart attack (he's already had two, and he's as big around as he is tall), the next one will drown (avid fisherman, pretty much lives in a fishing boat, can't swim), then the one with the bad diet, we put down for cancer, because he smoked heavily for decades, and I'm expected to be blown up by radical militants while on some overseas trip. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom