Recipe Cornmeal-Crusted Fried Oysters with Corn/Tomato relish with Horseradish Cream Sauce

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:51 PM
full.jpg

Oysters
24 Freshly-shucked Oysters, reserving liquid
1 egg
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup corn flour (I used 1/4 cup fine and 1/4 coarse cornmeal)
1 Tbsp Creole Seasoning, PLUS 3/4 tsp Creole seasoning

Oil for frying

Fresh Horseradish Cream Sauce
3/4 cup heavy cream
3 ounces Oyster Liquor, reserved from Fresh Oysters (above)
Generous 1/3 cup horseradish
1-1/2 Tbsp minced shallots
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground white pepper

Corn/Tomato Relish
2 Italian Plum tomatoes, diced into 1/4" pieces
1 ear corn, blanched and kernels scraped from the cob
1/4 cup chopped onions plus 2 Tbsp chopped onions
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tsp distilled white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp white Pepper

DIRECTIONS:

For Corn/Tomato Relish, combine all of the ingredients thoroughly in a mixing bowl. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes to let flavors blend.

For Fresh Horseradish Cream, Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk gently and bring just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon or a fine strainer, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm until oysters are ready.

For Oysters, Combine flour, corn flour and 1 Tbsp Creole seasoning in a bowl. Stir thoroughly. Whisk the egg and combine with the milk in another bowl until thoroughly blended; add 1/4 tsp Creole seasoning and whisk again.

Dredge the oysters, one at a time, in the seasoned flour/corn flour mixture. Shake off the excess, dip in the egg wash and dredge in the flour mixture again.

Heat the oil in a 9" skillet over high heat until it's very hot, and almost smoking. Fry half of the oysters until golden brown, shaking the pan once or twice (about 2 minutes on the first side and 1 minute on the second, depending on the size of the oysters). Drain on paper towels, and sprinkle about 1 tsp Creole seasoning over the cooked oysters.

Meanwhile, reheat the Horseradish Cream over high heat until bubbles just begin to form.

To serve, pour about ½ cup Horseradish Cream on each dinner plate. Arrange 6 oysters on each plate, like the spokes of a wheel, and place ½ cup of the relish in the center. Garnish the rim of each plate with a pinch of Creole seasoning, sprinkled from between your fingers.

Last edited:
Horseradish, oysters and corn relish. I can see this is quite a seductive combination - sweet, salty and tangy. I think I've said it before but I've never eaten cooked oysters as I love them so much raw and I can only obtain a few at a time. If I had a large quantity I'd certainly experiment. think I've also said before that if I do cook oysters I will follow one of your recipes to do it!

I really liked this dish. Not going to let it get "lost" again. I do have to edit the recipe though. I got WAY more dredge than needed, also the egg wash and horseradish sauce, but not nearly to the extent of the excess dredge.

Edit to recipe made.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom