Cost of Eating

I know the feeling on that one, I lived on a 3rd floor apartment before I moved into a new place a couple of years ago and it was hell trying to get the groceries up those stairs. I hated going to Costco and doing heavy shopping because I knew it was going to be a huge workout to get all of the stuff into my house. Now I live in a townhome and only have to carry the food up one flight of stairs to the 2nd floor where my kitchen is located.

The last four apartments, including THIS one, I've lived on the top floor, and it was usually the 3rd or fourth floor. I'm disabled with a heart condition, plus I have respiratory problems, & I will no longer accept an apartment past the second floor until or unless the building has an elevator! The buck stops here!! :mad: :stop:

Last edited:
You have the power Shermie, do not accept any higher than the 2nd floor unless your apartments come complete with an elevator.

I'm not positive but I think the cost of living in Dallas is pretty low in comparison to some other areas. Of course it's all relative and depends on the prices you've seen and been exposed to.

I'm on the east coast now and for example, when I lived down South shredded cheese was $1.79, and bread was around $2-3 a loaf. Up here, the same shredded cheese in Walmart costs $2.99, and the same bread is from $3-4. Down South there were always buy one get one free sales, which you could combine with coupons. So I literally was getting carts of stuff for $15-$20. Now up here, there will never in a million years be a B1G1 sale, and I swear they take the products off the shelves when a decent coupon comes out, so you can't even find the product to purchase it.

Also I think internationally different countries must either produce or value food products differently. For example in Canada, cheese is ridiculously expensive, along with butter and eggs. Those things are usually dirt cheap in comparison in the states. But in Canada you can find fresh produce everywhere for great prices, which is harder to find in the States, unless you live near a farmer's market.

My son at the moment is on his second week of a scheme called ncs national citizen scheme ,part of his week is running a food budget of £5 a day working in teams or individual,agreeing on meals and when they get to the end of the week ,what's left they get to spend it at a party on luxuries ,

My son at the moment is on his second week of a scheme called ncs national citizen scheme ,part of his week is running a food budget of £5 a day working in teams or individual,agreeing on meals and when they get to the end of the week ,what's left they get to spend it at a party on luxuries ,
Is that per individual or per team?

I agree with some of the others on here, there are an awful lot of variables at play - in some cases depending on where you live in the US, our grocery costs may be much higher or they may be much lower. I grew up in Youngstown, Ohio which is a more economically depressed area (it's actually one of the poorest areas in the country, lol) and groceries there are much cheaper than driving an hour and a half north to Cleveland Ohio, where their grocery stores such as Heinen's and Whole Foods cost a lot more.

I only shop for myself, but my grocery spending is rather high because I like to buy a lot of food and fresh ingredients - but I generally spend about $150 every two weeks ($300 a month) just for myself. I used to be more disciplined when I first moved out on my own and would keep my grocery spending under $150 a month, but with that also meant only having hot pockets for lunch, and some toast for breakfast, whereas now I often get carried away making big breakfasts and lunches for myself, which often end up costing me as much as I spend to make dinner.

When I had lower grocery bills, I was eating a lot of processed foods, frozen chicken patties, frozen fries, frozen pizzas - anything that was on sale I would stock up on and fill up my freezer. A few years ago I tried only buying what I need, and hitting up the grocery store every other day to buy what I was in the mood for, instead of shopping once every two weeks (payday), but I found that I ended up making too many impulse buys when I shopped more frequently. Also, I wasn't doing as good of a job at keeping track of my overall spending when buying a little at a time, so I was often going way over my budget. I think personally for me I was better off buying the two weeks worth at once, because I could see exactly what I was spending my money on, and make better decisions of what stuff I can hold off on to keep within my budget.

Per individual ,just gives them a idea of what things cost and how to budget,his first reaction was I can get a tescos Meal deal ,so what else will oh eat for the other two meals?
Well you or I could probably cook a grand meal or two, for five pounds a head with no problems. I'm assuming the team pool their money and then devise menus with dishes that serve more than one person. Whatever, I wouldn't have a problem with this. In fact if I multiply my family of five adults by £5 for 7 days, that's £175. I only wish I had that amount to spend on food every week. We'd be eating like kings.

Last edited:
Well you or I could probably cook a grand meal or two, for five pounds a head with no problems. I'm assuming the team pool their money and then devise menus with dishes that serve more than one person. Whatever, I wouldn't have a problem with this. In fact if I multiply my family of five adults by £5 for 7 days, that's £175. I only wish I had that amount to spend on food every week. We'd be eating like kings.
It's all about agreeing on what to cook then as well , plenty of lessons to learn for them !

its hard to work out what we spend on groceries in a week , but in a month it works out to be £450 but thats for 4 of us,
other in the uk we are often compared to France and we are around 12% more expensive,cleaning products are a big saving,though the supermarkets are more fresh food and seasonality orientated
below i have attached a interesting read
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/jul/26/uk-cities-food-prices-survey

This is a fascinating survey. Toronto comes out by far the most expensive place for food and drink. New York comes out (on balance) about the same as the UK. But there are some strange differences. For example Heinz Baked Beans cost twice as much in New York (£1.06 per can!) as in the UK. Why on earth would that be, given that Heinz is an American company? And broccoli costs well over twice as much in NY (£3.86 per kilo) as in the UK, yet in Toronto broccoli is only slightly more expensive than the UK.

Back
Top Bottom