1-1/2 pounds small red potatoes, halved
1 small onion, quartered
1-1/2 pounds turnips, peeled and quartered
1/2 head large green cabbage, cut into four wedges, core intact
Salt & pepper
Butter
Mustard or horseradish sauce, for serving

Directions
Place ham, carrots, potatoes, and onion in a large Dutch oven or stock pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, add cabbage wedges and turnips, replace the cover, bring back to a boil, then lower heat and simmer another 45 minutes to 1 hour, until vegetables are very tender.

Drain and remove ham to carving board. Season vegetables with salt and pepper to taste, and toss with a liberal amount of butter. Slice ham and serve with the buttered vegetables and mustard or horeseradish sauce on the side.

*Cottage ham is a cured and smoked pork shoulder butt specific to the Cincinnati area. Any smoked boneless ham or pork shoulder will do as a substitute.

Lovely plating and colour harmony, a balanced meal, I love the fact the core is intact. Is it then soft enough to be eaten as well? I would assume yes. I like snacking on raw cabbage core, it is something my Mom always gave me when I was a kid...Boiling is such a tender method, i.e. it makes it easily digestible, suitable for a variety of eating profiles (or requirements). Turnips are an interesting addition. The punch of horseradish sauce on the side is possibly very invigorating. Overall it feels like, as it is, a wonderful traditional meal.

Back
Top Bottom