Could you cook Christmas dinner for £1($1.24)?

Pity the meal they've booked for the the 25th isn't being cooked by any of them, and comes in at £82 per head. Excluding any tips.

Just a thought - Why ? I mean sure it sells books and grabs headlines but Christmas is a once a year thing - lay out the cash - go wild - hang the expense - spend two pounds [$3.25 ish ?] Life is way too short not to live it up a little.

Just a thought - Why ? I mean sure it sells books and grabs headlines but Christmas is a once a year thing - lay out the cash - go wild - hang the expense - spend two pounds [$3.25 ish ?] Life is way too short not to live it up a little.
He's brought out a series of such recipes.

His Instagram recipes weren't particularly for Xmas. The BBC just picked up on his Xmas dinner. But isn't its a good idea to create recipes which can be made on a tiny budget?

His Instagram recipes weren't particularly for Xmas. The BBC just picked up on his Xmas dinner. But isn't its a good idea to create recipes which can be made on a tiny budget?
It's also a false way of showing how it can be done, when it can't. Staff in the local Tesco's refused to sell me the one teaspoon of gravy granules required. Or any of of the other items where the container had to be opened.

Went in with the list, said these are all I need nothing else. Got the simple answer of they aren't allowed to do it like that. Similar answer at a small shop in the local market, when I gave the list in there.

It's also a false way of showing how it can be done, when it can't. Staff in the local Tesco's refused to sell me the one teaspoon of gravy granules required. Or any of of the other items where the container had to be opened.

Went in with the list, said these are all I need nothing else. Got the simple answer of they aren't allowed to do it like that. Similar answer at a small shop in the local market, when I gave the list in there.
I'm not an advocate for this! Its the BBC who publicised it. But I would have thought its pretty obvious that the budget in question is a longer term budget.

However @classic33, it seems you have identified a wonderful marketing opportunity for CookingBites! We could be the ones who do the real £1 meals! :D

I'm not an advocate for this! Its the BBC who publicised it. But I would have thought its pretty obvious that the budget in question is a longer term budget.

However @classic33, it seems you have identified a wonderful marketing opportunity for CookingBites! We could be the ones who do the real £1 meals! :D
Not counting tomorrow night, I wonder how close I could get to £2 meals per person for a week. Gives me a £20 budget for 5 meals.
I know tomorrow night is a £10 + meal.

Most Scout/Guide groups will all have a £10 challenge, for six. Check that book you bought.

Also self promotion on his part.

Most Scout/Guide groups will all have a £10 challenge, for six. Check that book you bought.

Also self promotion on his part.
Well, I will check the book but the book I have is mainly chef's recipe for scouts. I remember @Berties helping his boys with a Scout's challenge (at least I think it was - might have been a school challenge) and they had a much more generous budget. I remember commenting on how generous it was...

Well, I will check the book but the book I have is mainly chef's recipe for scouts. I remember @Berties helping his boys with a Scout's challenge (at least I think it was - might have been a school challenge) and they had a much more generous budget. I remember commenting on how generous it was...
It was an annual competition, held nationwide.

Back
Top Bottom