Countertop Dishwasher.

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
2:50 AM
EdgeStar Countertop Dishwasher.jpg
EdgeStar Countertop Dishwasher.jpg 2.jpg

Does anyone have a countertop dishwasher? if so, do you use it a lot?

I'm considering getting one when I move into another apartment. I had a full-size one, until it bit the dust. I miss it so much, but now, I'd like to get one of THESE! It looks much like a large countertop convection oven & has the shape of one.

The inside is pretty much the same as with all brands - having a stainless steel tub & inner door. The single rack is either in white or gray. And as with full size machines, it has a detergent dispenser & a rinse agent dispenser. The rack itself features a 2nd tier on the left. it is often used for coffee cups or long utensils.

It has cycles that work a lot similar to the full size units. In THIS particular brand machine, the heavy Wash is also the sanitizing cycle, where the main wash & final rinse water temp gets raised to 149 degrees to kill germs & bacteria that may be on the load. They usually hold 6 place settings.

I've read that they have become very popular and fit perfectly on the countertop next to the kitchen sink. They have become very handy for small kitchens, singles, couples and small families!

The one pictured above is the EdgeStar machine. Did some research on it & it looks and sounds pretty impressive with features once found only in the full size machines. It even raises the temp of the water in the main wash & final rinse until it registers a temp of about 149 degrees!!

Last edited:
As with most things ask yourself 3 questions - pretty dull ones but....
1 - will it do what I want it to [no REALLY everything]
2 - [obvious I guess] how much ? INCLUDING fitting plumbing in wiring etc or would it be better to just find room for a bigger one.
3 - can you get it fixed if it goes wrong ? Remember guarantees are great but not so good if you have to ship the thing half way across the country to get it sorted
If it ticks all the above - get it. You'll only regret it if you don't.

Funny Looking Countertop Dishwasher.jpg

Here's one that is very unusual looking. It looks cute & futuristic.

It runs on battery power, and the water supply is said to be able to recharge the battery without having to replace it at all. Can't find out if or where it is being sold at all!! :wacky:

Wright's Copper Cream..jpg
As with most things ask yourself 3 questions - pretty dull ones but....
1 - will it do what I want it to [no REALLY everything]
2 - [obvious I guess] how much ? INCLUDING fitting plumbing in wiring etc or would it be better to just find room for a bigger one.
3 - can you get it fixed if it goes wrong ? Remember guarantees are great but not so good if you have to ship the thing half way across the country to get it sorted
If it ticks all the above - get it. You'll only regret it if you don't.

1. I would not be able to wash large pots in it, since it is smaller than a floor standing model. I can wash those items by hand.

I don't like washing pots in the dishwasher anyway. Especially not stainless steel! Starchy foods like rice, pasta, dried beans & potatoes leave a white milky looking film on the inside of them that is only removable using Wright's Copper Cleaner paste (pictured above). Nonstick is easy to wash by hand, since it is just what its name implies.

2. About $280 (at Amazon.com) - about 1/3 the cost of a full size unit (running about ( $650 or so).

3. There would be no need for me to worry about wiring or plumbing. The units come with fill / drain hoses (attachable) and a power cord attached. Just like the portable units on wheels that you move to & from the sink.

4. Most units feature a 90-day return policy and a one-year warranty on them.

I would try to find it locally if I can, but it seems that the majority of them are sold only online. Just pondering the idea for now. I would have to wait first to see what type & size kitchen that I'd be getting in the apartment. :unsure:

Last edited:
Sounds as though it's the thing for you - go for it
Just a thought - how big/expensive are your dishwashers over there ? :eek: Just did a quick check and they seem to be running at £175 - £250 [about $230 - $325]. Get one from the UK and have it shipped out

Get one from the UK and have it shipped out
Are there voltage/wattage differences between the UK and USA? I know we were lucky with the UK/Australia voltages. they are the same so we have been able to take out what we wanted.

Also consider @Shermie that you may be able to get a 1/2 sized fitted dishwasher. They are quite common here in Australia and the other 1/2 of where a normal dishwasher would be is often just another drawer in a fitted kitchen. They often go under the cooker rings for some reason and then the oven goes into tall standing fitted cabinets, breaking up the cabinets into sensible sizes.

dishdrawer2.jpg

https://www.kambos.com.au/kitchen/dishwashers/dishdrawertm.html

ignore the prices, aussie kitchen prices are mad... and remember this is aussie dollars, but even so the average kitchen re-furb osts around $15,000 apparently. We have friends who looked into it and are doing most of the work themselves now as a result!

Sounds as though it's the thing for you - go for it
Just a thought - how big/expensive are your dishwashers over there ? :eek: Just did a quick check and they seem to be running at £175 - £250 [about $230 - $325]. Get one from the UK and have it shipped out

The sky's the limit over here. They run from about $400 or $500, all the way up to about $1600 here. :eek:

Are there voltage/wattage differences between the UK and USA? I know we were lucky with the UK/Australia voltages. they are the same so we have been able to take out what we wanted.

Also consider @Shermie that you may be able to get a 1/2 sized fitted dishwasher. They are quite common here in Australia and the other 1/2 of where a normal dishwasher would be is often just another drawer in a fitted kitchen. They often go under the cooker rings for some reason and then the oven goes into tall standing fitted cabinets, breaking up the cabinets into sensible sizes.

View attachment 2982
https://www.kambos.com.au/kitchen/dishwashers/dishdrawertm.html

ignore the prices, aussie kitchen prices are mad... and remember this is aussie dollars, but even so the average kitchen re-furb osts around $15,000 apparently. We have friends who looked into it and are doing most of the work themselves now as a result!

I like that dish drawer, and it sounds like a nice idea, but since I'm trying to get and apartment and not a house, I have to consider a unit that is independent on its own. In other words, no wiring or plumbing hassles to contend with. I have to be able to connect it to the sink faucet and plug it into a live outlet, then disconnect it when it as not in use.

All of the portable machines that I had were like this. If there isn't enough space on the countertop next to the sink, then other options have to be looked at, such as getting a small table with wheels on it. :wink:

Gota Countertop dishwasher..jpg

Here's another rather unusual looking one. As unusual as the one shown near the top of this page. But they still are not available yet! :headshake::stop:

View attachment 2980

It runs on battery power, and the water supply is said to be able to recharge the battery without having to replace it at all. Can't find out if or where it is being sold at all!! :wacky:
Free power!

View attachment 2980

2011 design, to have been made by Philips under the Whirlpool name, in Europe, at least. Doubt it'll get into production.
View attachment 2988

Here's another rather unusual looking one. As unusual as the one shown near the top of this page. But they still are not available yet! :headshake::stop:
Concept model only, never intended for production

2011 design, to have been made by Philips under the Whirlpool name, in Europe, at least. Doubt it'll get into production.

Concept model only, never intended for production

Yeah, looks like I might end up getting the one that's at the top of this page. It does most of the things that a full-sized machine does. :headshake::stop::wink:

Back
Top Bottom