Recipe Courgette, Pea and Sweetcorn Pancakes

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:25 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I had planned this for an evening meal this last week (to go with some additional veg and a cheese sauce made from wither potatoes or cauliflower (I hadn't decided at that point)) but my broken ribs have slowed me down to a virtual halt and I can do no more.

Ingredients:
  • 500g courgettes, grated
  • 1 tsp fine salt
  • 100g sweetcorn
  • 100g peas
  • 4 larger eggs, well beaten
  • 2-3tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 100g self raising flour (white or wholemeal, or spelt with baking powder added)
  • 2 tbsp cooking oil
Directions:
  1. Put the grated courgettes in a sieve over a bowl and add the 1tsp of fine salt and toss to mix. Now allow them to sit for 10 minutes to drain.
  2. Using a clean T-towel dry the courgettes off completely. If you don't like or want the remaining salt, wash off with clean water, then drain and dry thoroughly.
  3. In a large bowl, combine all but the flour, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the flour until well combined. The mixture should be a batter - if not add a touch of milk (dairy free as needed) to thin, but it should be a thick batter, so don't over thin other wise the pancakes are not going to happen.
  4. Heat oil in a large frying pan and when sizzling, pour in a little batter per pancake (depends on how large you want the pancake but aim for 10cm diameter and flatten as needed to 15cm roughly! Cook each side until golden brown before repeating.
  5. Ideally, serve immediately, otherwise its the store in the oven trick and try not to eat too many before they reach the table.
Pictures to follow - they have been held up by me not being able to make the recipe this week and take any photos due to my broken ribs. Sorry.

You can add 100g of finely grated cheese to this recipe if you want a dairy version, but mine obiovulsy isn't along those lines. Anyone wanting to make it vegan can replace the 4 eggs with 4-5tbsp of whipped aquafaba, but I would then swap out the peas with either chickpeas or some other bean to make best use of food resources.

Back
Top Bottom