Covid-19: Food discoveries and substitutions

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
1:18 AM
I couldn't think of a better name.

I think most of us are used to getting a huge variety of produce, both local and world-wide. Now a lot of us don't currently have that privilege. So, what foods are you discovering? Random things at the back of your cupboard you bought and forgot about. Or maybe making something just from looking at what you have.

In the cupboard I have found large bags of toasted rice flour and of ground rice. No idea what to do with them or why I bought them so I'll be researching.

I made two large jars of pickled cabbage last night as it was a little past its best.

I'm nearly out of my apple pickle, but what is most annoying is I have several jars stashed in my parents garage. Staring at our fruit and veg delivery yesterday I wondered If I could make a pickle with orange peel. Like lime pickle. Watch this space.

Last edited:
Food so far hasn't been much of a problem, apart from specific things like frozen potatoes, so it's been business as usual here, although we're eating every meal at home for now. That's a change. I'll hopefully lose a little weight!

Parsnip and chickpea curry! An unexpected hit. Not something I really liked the sound of, but I had some parsnips in my veg box. Due to high demand we are just getting what we are given in our veg box.

I don't usually get parsnips these days as I don't have an oven and only usually make roast parsnips and roast parsnip soup.

So, I looked in Mridula Baljekar's "175 vegetable curries" and she had this recipe and a curried parsnip soup.

I'll type my version of the recipe shortly (I was missing a few ingredients).

So far veggies have not been a serious problem. The produce market still has the basics. Romaine, no leaf lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, eggplant, beets, turnips, no carrots, onions, garlic, ginger and pepper, squash both winter and summer, some fruits and berries , Brussels sprouts.
One of us makes a weekly run for produce. Don't know how much longer that will last. Frozen vegetables are in short supply. What I find is what I cook . Fortunately George is not a picky eater.

So far veggies have not been a serious problem. The produce market still has the basics. Romaine, no leaf lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, eggplant, beets, turnips, no carrots, onions, garlic, ginger and pepper, squash both winter and summer, some fruits and berries , Brussels sprouts.
One of us makes a weekly run for produce. Don't know how much longer that will last. Frozen vegetables are in short supply. What I find is what I cook . Fortunately George is not a picky eater.

No problems here, shops open, fruit n veges 7 days as well. Freezers still full.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom