Recipe Cranberry and orange relish

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:54 AM
My mother used to make this as the base of a jello salad similar to Recipe - Cranberry Jell-O® Salad, except she used walnuts and celery instead of the mandarin oranges and almonds, and this relish in place of the cranberry sauce. It was NOT a favorite of mine, because it had a bitter taste to me, as well as walnuts and celery are not particularly my favorites, but everyone else in my family loved it.

She took oranges, cut into sections, peel, pith, seeds, all of it, plus a bag of cranberries and sugar, and blitzed it in a blender. She would make several batches and freeze some of them so she could make the jello salad year round.

The salad always had a horribly bitter taste to me, but apparently not others. It wasn't until years later that I realized the pith was the bitter taste.

When I gave the recipe to my aunt after my mother passed, i suggested she zest the orange, discard the pith, and get rid of the seeds, and cut down the sugar a bit to get rid of the bitter. The below is what I suggested she try.

1 pound fresh cranberries washed and picked through to remove bad ones
1 large naval orange, zested, then peeled and broken into segments, removing seeds
3/4 to 1 cup sugar, or to taste

Pulse the cranberries, orange segments and zest in a blender or food processor until you have the consistency of pickle relish. Stir in sugar and taste.

My aunt told me doing it my way got rid of the bitter taste, but i forgot to ask her about the amount of sugar, so you might want to start with 1/2 cup and go from there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom