Crayfish

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:42 AM
I got given two crays yesterday, I do swaps with a guy who gets them from kaikoura. These were alive, I believe they can stay alive for a day?? I usually boil them alive , they slash about for a while, but I've read it's cruel?? A no brainer I suppose. They recommend just putting them in the freezer and closing it. I put paper down and did it that way. I feel a bit better for doing it this way.
I will eat one next week.
Pics will follow

I just went to,freezer and took this pic of two I got. It's about 12 inches long, maybe a bit bigger. It's not cooked yet, it goes red when cooked. The

Russ

That would be a lobster, here. Looks like a warm water spiny lobster.

If you boil them, just drop them in head first. They will die very quickly. Putting them in the freezer for a while first will kind of put them to sleep before they meet their demise.

CD

If you boil them, just drop them in head first. They will die very quickly. Putting them in the freezer for a while first will kind of put them to sleep before they meet their demise.

CD

Your lobsters have the big claw though. These were put in freezer 18 hrs ago live. I will cook one next week and make a sammich with mashed egg. My fave way of eating. Big far juicy sammich with seafood dressing. :)

Russ

Your lobsters have the big claw though. These were put in freezer 18 hrs ago live. I will cook one next week and make a sammich with mashed egg. My fave way of eating. Big far juicy sammich with seafood dressing. :)

Russ

Only the cold water lobsters, like the ones they have in Maine, have the big claws. The warm water lobsters you find in the Caribbean and Mexico do not have those big claws.

Maine lobster...

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 4.06.25 PM.jpg

Spiny Lobster...

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 4.07.42 PM.jpg

CD

Only the cold water lobsters, like the ones they have in Maine, have the big claws. The warm water lobsters you find in the Caribbean and Mexico do not have those big claws.

Maine lobster...

View attachment 51201

Spiny Lobster...

View attachment 51202

CD

I wasn't aware you had both, I only thought you had the Maine one? I learnt something as I do almost daily here. Cheers.

So maybe I should call ours a spiny lobster? But we just call them crays. I hope to one day try a Maine lobster??

Russ

CD

I used to drown them by placing in the sink and weighting them down for an hour. Or put into cold water and bring to the boil. Both the more I think of it awful ways to die. I will freeze from now on.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom