1/4 cup red bell pepper, minced
3 TB AP flour
2 quarts chicken stock
2 cups smooth peanut butter
1-1/2 cups half-and-half*
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Salted peanuts, finely chopped, for garnish

Directions
In a soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper, and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.

Add the chicken stock, stir well, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until slightly reduced and thickened, about 15 minutes. Pour into a sieve set over a large bowl, and strain the mixture, forcing the vegetable through to extract as much flavor as possible. Return the liquid to the pot, and add the peanut butter, half-and-half, and cayenne.

Warm over medium-low heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, taking care not to let the soup boil. Serve garnished with the chopped peanuts.

Recipe courtesy of The Founding Foodies, Dave DeWitt

*substitute dairy of your choice if half-and-half isn't available, though results may vary.

That's intriguing TR, peanut soup, I'll have to try that. What are your thoughts? I'd probably leave the flour out and leave the vegetables in and puree in a Vitamix then strain to add the body the flour was intended to give.. And of course add garlic. :okay:
I wrote my thoughts out in the challenge topic, but in short: it's good, but it's weird (to me). :)

I wrote my thoughts out in the challenge topic, but in short: it's good, but it's weird (to me). :)
Funny, that was first thought that it might be like just eating thin peanut butter as well. I like the idea though in principal. I'll probably go more of an Asian route though. I see some ginger, tamarind, corriander, fish sauce and green chili's in the mix somewhere. Thanks for the inspiration. :okay:

Funny, that was first thought that it might be like just eating thin peanut butter as well. I like the idea though in principal. I'll probably go more of an Asian route though. I see some ginger, tamarind, corriander, fish sauce and green chili's in the mix somewhere. Thanks for the inspiration. :okay:
I'll add that the book I got this from is a discussion of colonial American cooking practices, and it's an included recipe from that book.

A surprising number of vegan sauces start with a cup of almond butter, cashew butter, tahini or peanut butter. And that actually goes with soups aswell, so I'm guessing it will be no more weird that those (Or my mango & Chilli pepper soup).

The soup is definitely a challenge for Western palates, probably because people associate peanuts with bar snacks and peanut butter.
The Mexicans make a hot peanut salsa to go with tacos; the Indonesians make a peanut sauce for satays and gado-gado; in Nigeria they make a groundnut soup with goat meat; in Ethiopia they make it with chicken, slightly sweeter, but spicy.
So what´s the message:cool:? Great recipe and time to get out of our comfort zones and try something new!!

...why the asterisk 'half and half'? I was wondering if it was perhaps optional as my thought on reading the recipe was 'does it really need cream?', even though its called 'cream of peanut'!

Another point - according to the recipe this makes enough soup for 10 to 12 servings. The stock added is 2 quarts. Allowing for the additional cream and some reduction of the soup this would seem to me to provide tiny servings. I'm converting to ml. I usually allow around 300 - 400 ml per soup serving.

When I think of peanut soup, I was also thinking the liquid Pad Thai flavor profile. I really appreciate the experimentation aspect of this recipe...it gives me ideas of other variations of nut soups.

I totally like the idea. I was pb crazy at a point, it might work for me. I am thinking meat chunks as well...and perhaps oat milk...well, thank you for the inspiration!

Back
Top Bottom