SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:49 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I came across this recipe 18 years ago (June 1997) in the now discontinued Vegetarian Good Food Magazine. It is a stunningly simple and excellent recipe for courgette soup and gets a lot of flavour from using the correct "soft cheese with garlic and herbs". Obviously, nowadays I have to modify that to make it vegan and use pureed cashew nuts (or soya cream if in a rush) with minced garlic and mixed herbs, plus some lemon juice to add the 'sour' taste that it benefits from.

Serves 4 with 166 calories per serving.

Ingredients
1tbsp olive oil
1 chopped onion
550g (1.25lb) courgettes (trimmed and sliced)
550ml vegetable stock
pinch of grated nutmeg
50g (2oz) soft cheese with garlic and herbs
150ml (1/4pt) sour cream
seasoning

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook fo 5 minites until softened
  2. Add the courgettes, cover and cook for a further 5 mintes until softened, stirring occasionally.
  3. Add the stock, nutmeg and seasoning, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the courgettes are really tender.
  4. transfer to a food processor or liquidiser (a hand blender will also work) and blend until smooth. Return to the pan and heat through.
  5. Mash the cheese into the cream until smooth. (if using cashew nut puree (or soya cream if in a rush), mix with the garlic, herbs and lemon juice). Stir into the soup and reheat gently. Do NOT allow the soup to boil.
  6. Season to taste and serve.

Creamy Courgette Soup_800.jpg

Appears to have been brought back under a new name
Doesn't look like it is. This was a BBC magazine decades ago. It is something similar, but at £79 for a year delivery to Australia, I may stick with the internet! (when I actually get my satellite broadband that is!)

I came across this recipe 18 years ago (June 1997) in the now discontinued Vegetarian Good Food Magazine. It is a stunningly simple and excellent recipe for courgette soup and gets a lot of flavour from using the correct "soft cheese with garlic and herbs". Obviously, nowadays I have to modify that to make it vegan and use pureed cashew nuts (or soya cream if in a rush) with minced garlic and mixed herbs, plus some lemon juice to add the 'sour' taste that it benefits from.

Serves 4 with 166 calories per serving.

Ingredients
1tbsp olive oil
1 chopped onion
550g (1.25lb) courgettes (trimmed and sliced)
550ml vegetable stock
pinch of grated nutmeg
50g (2oz) soft cheese with garlic and herbs
150ml (1/4pt) sour cream
seasoning

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook fo 5 minites until softened
  2. Add the courgettes, cover and cook for a further 5 mintes until softened, stirring occasionally.
  3. Add the stock, nutmeg and seasoning, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the courgettes are really tender.
  4. transfer to a food processor or liquidiser (a hand blender will also work) and blend until smooth. Return to the pan and heat through.
  5. Mash the cheese into the cream until smooth. (if using cashew nut puree (or soya cream if in a rush), mix with the garlic, herbs and lemon juice). Stir into the soup and reheat gently. Do NOT allow the soup to boil.
  6. Season to taste and serve.

View attachment 3023
This looks lovely i am to try this later on in the week....i bet you this would work with brocoli

Back
Top Bottom