Recipe Creamy French Lentils with Mushroom and Kale

Local time
6:04 AM
I found this recipe and thought it would be a good start for the lentil Challenge. Will I try it? I can't be sure but it's something I would surely consider.
cd054df376ac771a921a97fb1252795f.jpg

Serves: 4
Notes: If you don’t have any white wine around or you choose not to consume it, a teaspoon of white wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice will substitute just fine. I serve this as a thick, stew-y mixture fit for serving over toast, but you could add extra vegetable stock/non-dairy milk to make it more soup-y if you like.

¾ cup French green lentils, rinsed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium shallot, fine dice (roughly 1/3 cup diced shallot)
1 lb (454 grams) mixed mushrooms, stemmed + sliced
sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, minced
2 tablespoons white wine
½ teaspoon gluten-free tamari soy sauce
1 ½ cups vegetable stock
1/3 cup unsweetened plant milk—I find carton coconut-based milk is preferable here (this one + this one are my go-tos)
3-4 kale stalks, stems removed + leaves sliced (1 ½ packed cups of sliced kale)
fresh bread or toasts, for serving

Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the lentils to the water along with a fat pinch of salt. Simmer the lentils until they’re just-tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.

In a braiser or medium soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots to the pot and stir. Cook the shallots until slightly softened and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and let them sit for a full minute. Stir the mushrooms up and season with pepper. Let the mushrooms sit in the pan another full minute.

Stir the mushrooms until they start glistening slightly. Season the mushrooms with salt. Add the garlic and thyme to the pot and stir. Once the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds, add the white wine and tamari to the pan. Stir the mushrooms. Add the vegetable stock and plant milk to the pot. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil.

Ladle half of the mushroom mixture into your blender pitcher, ensuring that you include enough of the liquid. Blend on high until completely smooth. Scrape the blended mushroom mixture back into the pot, along with the cooked lentils. Add the sliced kale and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil and check it for seasoning. The texture should be like a thick and creamy stew.

Serve hot with toasts or other accompaniments of your choosing.

http://www.thefirstmess.com/2016/01/13/creamy-french-lentils-with-mushrooms-and-kale-recipe/

Wow, that looks good, but it is another recipe that you would spend all day in the kitchen. I mean that is just too much work. Unless you could throw all the ingredients in a slow cooker and let it go, I probably wouldn't make it, although I am sure the taste is super yummy!

T'is a busy one! You picking up bad habits?
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I wonder whose bad habits? It's a busy one but there are some people around here who have a lot of time on their hands. Hi there @morning glory. Of course if I ever attempted this it would be minus some ingredients (still have no mushrooms) and major short cuts would be implemented.

That looks wonderful! It is written up in such a way that I think it sounds busier than it actually is, I think. I'd be inclined to use spinach rather than kale because, well, I prefer spinach and it would be quicker to cook through.

If I get time I'll re-write the method. I would do that anyway if I'm going to cook it myself. I may have a go at cooking this tomorrow.

Last edited:
That looks wonderful! It is written up in such a way that I think it sounds busier than it actually is, I think. I'd be inclined to use spinach rather than kale because, well, I prefer spinach and it would be quicker to cook through.

If I get time I'll re-write the method. I would do that anyway if I'm going to cook it myself. I may have a go at cooking this tomorrow.
Did you ever try this? I don't recall seeing Creamy French Lentils with Mushroom and Kale Revisited with Spinach.

Back
Top Bottom