Recipe Creamy Mushroom Soup

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
9:00 AM
CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP

Quick and easy.
A note on mushrooms. I keep dried mushrooms in the pantry - they keep a long time, I don't have to run to the market every time I want that extra boost of earthy, deep mushroom flavor. I use the liquid used to reconstitute the mushrooms - more of a flavor bomb.

INGREDIENTS
1/2 oz. dried mushrooms - I like the deep flavor of Porcini. Use your favorite. I was out of Porcini so I used mixed wild mushrooms.
1 1/2 - 2 lbs. fresh, brown mushrooms - I used Cremini
4 TBSP Butter
1 TBSP EVOO
2 Cups finely diced brown or yellow onion
4 Cloves garlic, minced
4 Tsp. chopped fresh Thyme - divided (1 1/3 Tsp. dried)
1/2 Cup dry white wine - I used Pinot Grigio, I find Chardonnay too oaky.
6 TBSP APF
5 Cups chicken broth/stock set aside 1 cup
1 - 2 Tsp. Sea Salt - taste first
1/2 - 1 Tsp. cracked black pepper (I like black pepper)
2 Tsp. Better Than Bouillon Beef Base or 2 Beef Bouillon cubes, crumbled. I used the BTB Base.
1 Cup Heavy Cream
Chopped Fresh Parsley and Thyme to serve

METHOD
Start with the dried mushrooms. Dried Mushrooms can be gritty. Put them in a sieve and rinse. Put in a microwave proof measure, fill to the 1 cup mark with stock and microwave for 1 minute. Set aside for 15 - 20 minutes. Line a fine mesh sieve with a coffee filter. Set the sieve over a bowl or measure to catch the liquid. Strain the mushrooms. Gather together the sides of the filter and squeeze. Discard the filter. Set aside the liquid. Return the mushrooms to the sieve and rinse under running water. Squeeze dry and chop.
Wipe the fresh mushrooms with a damp towel. Remove the stems and set aside. Slice the mushrooms fairly thick - 1/8". Cut a thin slice from the root end of the stems. Mince the stems.
In a soup pot or dutch oven heat the oil and butter. When the butter foam begins to subside add the onion. Cook until soft. Add the garlic and minced stems. Cook until just fragrant. Add both fresh and reconstituted mushrooms and 2 Tsp. Thyme. Cook for 5 minutes. Add wine and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour sifted through a sieve to avoid clumping. Stir well and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Add 4 cups stock and the reserved soaking liquid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Stir in the BTB Base or the crumbled Bouillon cubes. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened.
Reduce heat to low. Add the Cream and pepper. Gently simmer for 2 or 3 minutes - do not boil. Taste. Add salt to taste. Serve. Top with remaining Thyme and chopped Parsley.
Serve with a salad and a slice of crusty bread brushed with EVOO or melted butter and toasted - I used Italian bread. Sourdough is another good option.
Enjoy!!

I feel the same way about cooking with chardonnay. It is to oaky.

CD

Back
Top Bottom