Woof-woof
Local time
11:02 AM
Creamy Salmon Soup
lo_7_.png

Serves 10-12
Preparation time: ~1 hour

Ingredients

1,5 l (1500 ml) vegetable stock or fish stock (e.g. four organic vegetable stock cubes + water)
10-15 white peppercorns
30-40 black peppercorns (I put the peppercorns inside a closed stainless steel tea sieve)
2-3 carrots (~200g)
1 fennel bulb (~200g)
1-2 yellow onions (~200g)
1 kg firm potatoes
1,5-2 kg boneless and skinned salmon fillets
500 ml heavy cream/double cream
Two handfuls of chopped, fresh dill (or to taste)
(salt to taste)

Preparation of salmon fillets

Use small pliers or tongs to remove possible bones. If the fillet is not skinned, keep the tail in place with your fingers or with a spike/fork, place a sharp (not serrated) knife between the flesh and the skin and cut carefully along the length of the fillet while pressing the cheek or belly of the blade firmly against the skin.

Preparation

Use a large pot. Peel the potatoes and carrots and rinse the fennel bulb. Bring the stock to boil on medium heat with peppercorns while dicing up the carrots, fennel bulb and onions into small pieces or cubes. Cut the potatoes into chunks and put them in cold water to rest. Add the carrots, fennel and onions into the pot and cook for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook until done (15-25 minutes). Cut the skinned salmon fillets into chunks (mouthfuls). Add 500 ml cream to the pot and bring to boil. Add the salmon and bring to boil. Add the chopped dill and set aside. Let the salmon cook in the afterheat for a couple of minutes and serve with e.g. rye bread and butter. Garnish with dill.

lo_aa.png

Creamy Salmon Soup
View attachment 49471
Serves 10-12
Preparation time: ~1 hour

Ingredients

1,5 l (1500 ml) vegetable stock or fish stock (e.g. four organic vegetable stock cubes + water)
10-15 white peppercorns
30-40 black peppercorns (I put the peppercorns inside a closed stainless steel tea sieve)
2-3 carrots (~200g)
1 fennel bulb (~200g)
1-2 yellow onions (~200g)
1 kg firm potatoes
1,5-2 kg boneless and skinned salmon fillets
500 ml heavy cream/double cream
Two handfuls of chopped, fresh dill (or to taste)
(salt to taste)

Preparation of salmon fillets

Use small pliers or tongs to remove possible bones. If the fillet is not skinned, keep the tail in place with your fingers or with a spike/fork, place a sharp (not serrated) knife between the flesh and the skin and cut carefully along the length of the fillet while pressing the cheek or belly of the blade firmly against the skin.

Preparation

Use a large pot. Peel the potatoes and carrots and rinse the fennel bulb. Bring the stock to boil on medium heat with peppercorns while dicing up the carrots, fennel bulb and onions into small pieces or cubes. Cut the potatoes into chunks and put them in cold water to rest. Add the carrots, fennel and onions into the pot and cook for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook until done (15-25 minutes). Cut the skinned salmon fillets into chunks (mouthfuls). Add 500 ml cream to the pot and bring to boil. Add the salmon and bring to boil. Add the chopped dill and set aside. Let the salmon cook in the afterheat for a couple of minutes and serve with e.g. rye bread and butter. Garnish with dill.

View attachment 49469
That is beautiful and sounds delicious. Good job!

done did and etted tonight. used sockeye, Yukon gold potato. cut recipe to 25%

really good stuff....
DW desires more potato (used 250g) and slightly thicker broth....
View attachment 50102
I didn't have a kitchen scale so the quantities were estimates - and maybe slightly downgraded. This is emphasized in smaller scale (regarding the recipe). Sorry for being a little vague with the recipe; this is a such an everyday dish that I make it instinctively.

The weather was chilly at the time me made our last soup so we kept the leftovers on the balcony overnight. This soup always tastes better the next day: it turns more into a stew; the flavors become leveled and the broth thickens from the cooling, the second heating and the potato starch. You can always toss the salmon bits in APF/plain flour (or 4/5 APF - 1/5 corn flour mix) before cooking if you like more condensation. Thanks for cooking, CookieMonster!

Last edited:
I have a can/tin of salmon and don't want to make croquettes (it's the only thing I can find using the canned/tinned version). Do you think it would work well for this? It's still warm yet for soup but I'm having a craving for fish and don't have any fish in the freezer right now.

I have a can/tin of salmon and don't want to make croquettes (it's the only thing I can find using the canned/tinned version). Do you think it would work well for this? It's still warm yet for soup but I'm having a craving for fish and don't have any fish in the freezer right now.
In the late '90s I started a landscaping business - no lawn service. I lived on next to nothing my first year. I ate lots of Peanut Butter, eggs, Román Noodles and tinned fish. I did have a vegetable garden. It is amazing how creative you can get with limited ingredients. Because your Salmon is tinned prepare your base and add the Salmon just long enough to warm it. Do drain your Salmon. Put the liquid in your broth for flavor. When your broth is seasoned to your liking add the Salmon.

Reactions: mjd
In the late '90s I started a landscaping business - no lawn service. I lived on next to nothing my first year. I ate lots of Peanut Butter, eggs, Román Noodles and tinned fish. I did have a vegetable garden. It is amazing how creative you can get with limited ingredients. Because your Salmon is tinned prepare your base and add the Salmon just long enough to warm it. Do drain your Salmon. Put the liquid in your broth for flavor. When your broth is seasoned to your liking add the Salmon.

OK. So, I make the basic with the veggies and seasoning using the liquid from the can/tin of salmon, get all that married and add the salmon in the last several minutes? Did I understand you correctly?

Also, I don't have heavy cream on hand. I was thinking of using a can of condescended mushroom soup. Will that work or would the mushrooms overpower the salmon?

OK. So, I make the basic with the veggies and seasoning using the liquid from the can/tin of salmon, get all that married and add the salmon in the last several minutes? Did I understand you correctly?

Also, I don't have heavy cream on hand. I was thinking of using a can of condescended mushroom soup. Will that work or would the mushrooms overpower the salmon?
You can experiment with anything but heavy cream is quite an essential part of this dish. Mushroom flavor affects the taste of salmon but mushrooms (especially chanterelles) match with salmon. If the salmon is canned in oil, I wouldn't use the oily liquid which would probably just float on top. (The heavy cream/dairy fat forms little, tasty yellowish dots on the surface). If the salmon is canned in water, I'd reduce salt (in terms of the amount of fish cubes/fish stock) as canned salmon tends to be salty. I'd make the broth from fish stock (cubes) and add the canned fish on top at the last minute like ElizabethB - otherwise it would dissolve in the broth. I'd also use a lot of dill to camouflage the lack of fresh salmon.

You can experiment with anything but heavy cream is quite an essential part of this dish. Mushroom flavor affects the taste of salmon but mushrooms (especially chanterelles) match with salmon. If the salmon is canned in oil, I wouldn't use the oily liquid which would probably just float on top. (The heavy cream/dairy fat forms little, tasty yellowish dots on the surface). If the salmon is canned in water, I'd reduce salt (in terms of the amount of fish cubes/fish stock) as canned salmon tends to be salty. I'd make the broth from fish stock (cubes) and add the canned fish on top at the last minute like ElizabethB - otherwise it would dissolve in the broth. I'd also use a lot of dill to camouflage the lack of fresh salmon.

I think I'll wait until I have the ingredients to make it the way it's written. Thanks for the tips though.

Back
Top Bottom