Recipe Crevettes, Avocado, Charred Chillies & Grapes with ‘Marie Rose’ Sauce.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:07 AM
Super simple to make and pretty on the plate, this is a bit of a take on that old favourite, prawn cocktail. Cook the crevettes in their shells for the best flavour (I pan fried them). If you can’t find crevettes you could substitute smaller sized prawns*. For a more classic Marie Rose, substitute mayonnaise for the yoghurt in the dressing, in which case, omit the olive oil.

fullsizeoutput_4489.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
  • 10 crevettes, shelled and allowed to cool
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • 10 grapes (5 black and 5 green), halved
  • 2 medium hot chillies such as jalapinos
  • 4 tbsp plain greek style yoghurt
  • 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
  • A dash of Tabasco
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Paprika (unsmoked) or Cayenne pepper to sprinkle
  • Coriander leaves to serve
Method
  • Make the dressing by mixing together the yoghurt, tomato ketchup, olive oil and Tabasco.
  • Char the chillies under a hot grill (broiler) or use a culinary blow torch. Allow to cool, de-seed and cut into rings.
  • Arrange crevettes, avocado, grapes and chillies on a plate, garnish with coriander leaves and dust with cayenne or paprika.
  • Serve with the dressing.
fullsizeoutput_448e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4471.jpeg

*In the UK the term 'crevettes' refers to very large prawns. Sometimes they are called king prawns but in general, crevettes are larger than king prawns and like Spanish gambas.

Last edited:
Super simple to make and pretty on the plate, this is a bit of a take on that old favourite, prawn cocktail. Cook the crevettes in their shells for the best flavour (I pan fried them). If you can’t find crevettes you could substitute smaller sized prawns*. For a more classic Marie Rose, substitute mayonnaise for the yoghurt in the dressing, in which case, omit the olive oil.

View attachment 23434

Ingredients (serves 2)
  • 10 crevettes, shelled and allowed to cool
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • 10 grapes (5 black and 5 green), halved
  • 2 medium hot chillies such as jalapinos
  • 4 tbsp plain greek style yoghurt
  • 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
  • A dash of Tabasco
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Paprika (unsmoked) or Cayenne pepper to sprinkle
  • Coriander leaves to serve
Method
  • Make the dressing by mixing together the yoghurt, tomato ketchup, olive oil and Tabasco.
  • Char the chillies under a hot grill (broiler) or use a culinary blow torch. Allow to cool, de-seed and cut into rings.
  • Arrange crevettes, avocado, grapes and chillies on a plate, garnish with coriander leaves and dust with cayenne or paprika.
  • Serve with the dressing.
View attachment 23435

View attachment 23436

*In the UK the term 'crevettes' refers to very large prawns. Sometimes they are called king prawns but in general, crevettes are larger than king prawns and like Spanish gambas.

Never heard of crevettes, king prawns are easy to get here, I love cocktail sauce so I will do something like this, but not as fancy. I love tiger prawns and strawberry prawns.

Russ

Never heard of crevettes, king prawns are easy to get here, I love cocktail sauce so I will do something like this, but not as fancy. I love tiger prawns and strawberry prawns.

Russ

I think crevettes will be the same as your king prawns - its just a fancy name for king prawns which are particularly large - we are talking about 5 inches long with head and shell on. I've never heard of strawberry prawns...

Back
Top Bottom