Recipe Crispy Pulled Lamb with Pomegranate and Broad Bean Salsa

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:10 PM
This is a great way to use left over slow cooked lamb but I think it would work just as well for pork. This is the first time I’ve made tortillas although I make flatbreads quite often from just wheat flour and water. I looked at a few recipes and adapted by adding aquafaba in place of egg so that my vegan son could try them. It seemed to work OK.

The pomegranate molasses is the perfect foil for the rather fatty lamb. But what I like best is the combination of colours in the salsa. Pomegranate seeds are such jewels!

fullsizeoutput_2b66.jpeg

Ingredients (Serves 2)
For the lamb and salsa:

175g slow cooked lamb shoulder or neck fillet (allowed to cool)
A dash of olive oil to fry the meat
2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
1/2 x red onion, chopped
100g frozen baby broad beans
6 baby tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp fresh pomegranate seeds
I x habanero, deseeded and chopped finely chopped (or substitute chilli of choice)
Juice of half a lime
A drizzle of olive oil
Salt to taste
Sriracha sauce

For the tortillas (makes 4)
50g corn meal
100g bread flour
2 tbsp aquafaba (liquid from tinned chickpeas)
Water to mix
A large pinch of salt
Oil to fry

Method
To make the tortillas:
  1. Place the flour, corn meal and salt in a bowl
  2. Mix in the aquafaba and just enough water to bring the mixture together into a dough.
  3. Cover and leave to rest for ten minutes.
  4. Divide the dough onto 4 pieces and roll into circles
  5. Fry in a little oil in a hot frying pan, until dark blisters appear, turning once.
  6. Keep warm, covered by a cloth.
For the salsa:
  1. Place the broad beans in a bowl and pour boiling water over to cover.
  2. Slip the beans out of their skins. Discard the skins.
  3. Combine the beans with the rest of the salsa ingredients, mixing well. Salt to taste.
To make the crispy pulled lamb:
  1. Using a fork, pull apart the cooked lamb until you have chunky shreds.
  2. Fry the lamb in a little olive oil over a high heat until the edges become crispy.
  3. Add the pomegranate molasses and stir to combine.
Assemble the lamb and salsa on the tortilla & drizzle with sriracha sauce.

fullsizeoutput_2b6e.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a great way to use left over slow cooked lamb but I think it would work just as well for pork. This is the first time I’ve made tortillas although I make flatbreads quite often from just wheat flour and water. I looked at a few recipes and adapted by adding aquafaba in place of egg so that my vegan son could try them. It seemed to work OK.

The pomegranate molasses is the perfect foil for the rather fatty lamb. But what I like best is the combination of colours in the salsa. Pomegranate seeds are such jewels!

What I really like about this recipe, is its outright unique character. This is definitely a first for a tortilla and at the same time demonstrates what Pomegranate can be aspired to. Oh, and who doesn't like lamb? And a salsa that in no way stays to the normal virtues. Habanero? Yes. Another daring combination of ingredients is what I think we have here. I just love it. I am impressed.

Back
Top Bottom