Recipe Croatian Apple Strudel with Whizzed almonds and sultanas.

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
6:19 PM
My contribution was the donkey work of grating, kneading squeezing and pleading. Mrs blank froze the excess dough to make Serbian Almond Baklava triangles for next wkends treat.
First make a simple oil and water dough using the strongest flour you have. I kneaded it for 10 mins for the gluten to form good elastic strands. Rest for 1 hour then knead for another 5 mins then rest till you pull. (the pastry not your neighbor.
Blitz a hanfull of almonds
Grate 5 apples.
Mix some cinnamon with brown sugar.
Count 167 sultanas and eat 7 to leave an even number with a zero on the end.
Melt some butter.
Pull the pastry so you can see your fingers through it. Knuckle the pastry onto a tea towel. Splatter with melted butter, squeeze a handful of grated apple and scatter it on the pastry evenly.
Divide the 160 sultana by 3 = eat 1 giving you three piles of 53. Eat 3 of each pile so you have a zero ending number ie leaving you with 50 in each pile.
Scatter the whizzed almonds on top. Lift one end of the tea towel and roll. Keeping the roll on the towel. Lift and place in tin. Repeat twice more. Bake in a medium oven till brown. Eat luke warm with sour cream or ice cream.

I will include the cooked picture tomorrow with tonight's dinner. Glory how do you tag this joint effort for the competition.?

Just tag it cookingbites recipe challenge. To tag the post simply click on the little 'luggage label' under the title of the recipe and start typing cookingbites - you should get an automatic drop down menu to choose from.

The recipe also needs to be linked to, in the Challenge thread (if you haven't done so already). Shout if you don't know how to do that.

I really need to learn how to make filo...
Thank you. This is the Bosnian method which I prefer. Just flour and water to make dough, then divide the dough into balls, flatten to baps, put in a pot one on top of each other with a smear of oil in between. Then cover with oil and leave for an hour. Mrs B says the end result is to greasy, thats what I like. This method is easier as the oil make the dough more forgiving. This lady has wonderful skill because she does it all morning in the bakery. We have six bakeries that make everything from scratch within 1 km of us. I would eat any of their Burek, my wife would take it as a personal insult if I did. I should have called it Croatian Apple Burek which it is. It is different from strudel which is buttered layers of filo folded around a quantity of apple mixture.
This may help you.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMPJ-t7A-B8&ab_channel=TUR%C4%B0ZM%C4%B0NSES%C4%B0

Back
Top Bottom