Recipe Crockpot Philly Cheese Steak

ally79

Veteran
Local time
3:09 PM
This is a recipe that I tried this week and it was absolutely fabulous. Okay, I may be a bit biased because Philly cheese steak is one of my favorite foods.

Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches:
2 lbs round steak, sliced
2 tablespoons butter, melted (I never added this. Just forgot, I think.)
4 onions sliced (I used 3 small ones)
2 green peppers sliced
1 tablespoon garlic-pepper blend (I did 1/2 T garlic powder and 1/2 T pepper)
salt, to taste (I left this out because of the bouillon)
1/2 cup water
2 tsp beef bouillon granules (I used five cubes and melted them in the water in the micro)

6 crusty Italian or French rolls, sliced in half
8 slices Cheddar cheese (we used Havarti)

1. Combine steak, butter, onions, bell peppers, garlic-pepper blend and salt in crock pot. Stir to mix.
2. Whisk water and bouillon and pour over meat and veggies.
3. Cover; cook on LOW 6-8 hours (I cooked ours on LOW for 4.5 hours)
4. Preheat oven to broil (move rack to the top). Cut rolls, (we put mayonnaise on ours), pile high with meat and veggies, cover with cheese, place on tray and WATCH CAREFULLY as they toast to perfection.

Thanks this looks awesome! I love my crockpot and this is a recipe that is nothing like anything I currently make. I would also leave out the butter, just because I am not a butter type of person but everything else looks great. I especially like how the peppers and onions go into the crockpot and cook with everything. I bet it gives the meat some great flavor!

This sounds amazing. I'm definitely going to try it!

Maybe I'll post the results when I'm done :P

I love Philly Steak and Chicken sandwiches as well. If I have the extra money to spare once in a while I will pick up a big piece of Ribeye to make these. But in most cases I go with the more affordable cuts such as the round steak mentioned here. A pressure cooker will also make this even quicker if you happen to have one, I would say about 35 min on high if the meat is already sliced. But don't add in any of the veggies as they will turn to mush by the time the meat is done - probably just saute them in a separate pan on the stove.

Another option if you are in a hurry and the meat is still frozen, just partially defrost it in the freezer enough that you can shave off thin pieces with your knife, and continue to make thin shavings of the meat (less then 1/8" thick) until you have enough for your sandwiches. Then pound all the meat flat with the coarse end of a meat mallet. This should tenderize the meat enough for a quick stir fry with the veggies and other ingredients. And you are actually using the fact that it's still semi frozen to your advantage because it makes it easier to get shavings from.

Definitely will be trying this recipe very soon. I haven't had a really good cheese steak sub in awhile, wow, actually in over a year. It's definitely over due. The only difference for me would be to use soft bread as I am not a big fan of crispy bread. I recently found a local mart that seems to have won me over with their fresh soft rolls. Can't wait to combine your recipe with their soft rolls. Thanks again for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom