Croquettes - what are your favourites?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:15 AM
According to Wikipedia:

A croquette (/kroʊˈket/)[1] is a small breadcrumbed fried food roll containing, usually as main ingredients, ground meat (veal, beef, chicken, or turkey), shellfish, fish, ham, cheese, mashed potatoes or vegetables, and mixed with béchamel or brown sauce,[2] and soaked white bread, egg, onion, spices and herbs, wine, milk, beer, or some combination, sometimes with a filling, e.g. sautéed onions, mushrooms, or boiled eggs. The croquette is usually shaped into a cylinder, disk, or oval shape, and then deep-fried. The croquette (from the French croquer, "to crunch") gained worldwide popularity, both as a delicacy and as a fast food.

Mashed potato-filled croquettes are often served as a side dish in winter holiday meals, such as Christmas. In fast food cuisine, varieties exist without potatoes, but with cheese, beef, or goulash, often in a filling based on béchamel sauce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquette

The Wiki page then lists types of croquette from all over the world. Do you make croquettes? What are your favourite kinds?

[Mod.Edit. this post is copied from another thread]

Salmon, turkey, and tuna croquettes.

Years ago, there was a chain restaurant called Howard Johnsons. I think they served turkey or chicken croquettes with bechamel sauce drizzled over the top. They were shaped like little domes or pyramids, and probably deep-fried as they were crunchy and breaded on the outside. They also sold them Frozen, as well as their macaroni and cheese. Haven't seen them around in years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I've ever made any type of croquette except the plain mashed potato type. This is a situation which must be remedied. I now realise there is a whole world of croquette possibilities!

IMG_0015a.jpg

I have made them, but I'm not sure I made the ones in this photo - they look too well formed! I think this was sausage and black pudding roll with leeks and a Stilton sauce, earlier this year.

View attachment 20259
I have made them, but I'm not sure I made the ones in this photo - they look too well formed! I think this was sausage and black pudding roll with leeks and a Stilton sauce, earlier this year.

Presume those are potato croquettes - that seems to be the main type found in the UK. I love the sound of that sausage roll with Stilton sauce.

There were also ham croquettes. Maybe drizzled with cheese sauce. It was probably an economical dish as well, using leftover roast turkey, chicken, or tinned tuna or salmon. As I recall, they were made with bread crumbs, beaten egg, seasoning, shaped and fried. They looked very elegant on the plate though. Will try to see if I can find my old school recipe.

Jacques Pepin worked at Howard Johnson's and helped improve the menu. There was one on Ft. Lauderdale beach I used as a "line of sight" to triangulate a couple dive sites when I was driving the cattle dive boat back in the 80's.

I love goat cheese croquettes. They can be served on a salad as a light meal, or drizzled with honey for a sweet/savory appy.

I remember frozen potato croquettes when I was a kid. I've not eaten them in an age.

Are Hushpuppies considered a croquette? I love me some hushpuppies alongside good Q.

Back
Top Bottom