Crostini and Bruschetta

CraigC

Guru
Local time
12:01 PM
I was wondering if anyone else rubs the toasted bread with raw garlic before adding the topping? Some times I just rub with raw garlic and smear with a cut fresh tomato with no other toppings except a good finishing olive oil.

I was wondering if anyone else rubs the toasted bread with raw garlic before adding the topping? Some times I just rub with raw garlic and smear with a cut fresh tomato with no other toppings except a good finishing olive oil.

Yes - I do! And I often don't even add a topping except for butter. Also I sometimes rub toast with garlic and crumble into soup.

I do. Funnily enough I was showing husband this trick yesterday. I rub garlic, drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt. The tomato idea sounds good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do. Funnily enough I was showing husband this trick yesterday. I rub garlic, drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt. The tomato idea sounds good.

I saw that tomato trick on a Jamie Oliver show - also simply grating a tomato on a microplane to get the 'essence'.

I've tried rubbing the bread with the raw garlic, but I prefer to mash a clove or two of roasted garlic and mix it with a tablespoon of softened butter and give a light spread. After starting to do it that way, my bruchetta was requested at every gathering for a few years.

We have 1 kind we make copied from an upscale Italian chain, Breo, that uses Pinot Noir braised onions, gorgonzola, arugula and prosciutto. I could make a meal off those alone.

I put a slice of tomato, Sprinkle garlic powder and italian seasoning, and then to americanize it chedder and monteray jack shreds on top.

My sil butters the bread and chops her tomatos up with onion and garlic and then mozzarella shreds.

I like mine better hers i find hers greasy and not garlicy enough.

Back
Top Bottom