Recipe Cuban Style Pork Roast

CraigC

Guru
Local time
6:23 AM
We make quite a bit of Cuban food. This roast, using pork butt, will make several different meals. We have it as is with black beans, rice, tostones or maduros and I have yucca con mojo. It is also used for Cuban sandwiches and Media Noches. Both are pressed sandwiches. This is a very simple recipe with few but flavorful ingredients. I have given amounts for the cumin and salt, but I really don't measure. This can be done in an oven, but I prefer the BGE.

Ingredients
1 - 8 to 10 pound boneless pork butt or shoulder
1 - large or 2 small heads of garlic, cloves separated, peeled and smashed
Enough sour oranges for 2 cups of juice or 1 cup orange juice and 1 cup lime juice
2 - tsp Freshly toasted and ground cumin (for me, there is no better smell than freshly ground cumin)
1-1/2 Tbsp Kosher salt
1 - Large sweet, white or red onion, thinly sliced
1- Cup good quality Spanish olive oil
Banana leaves (optional) You can use foil

Directions
1) On a cutting board, add salt and cumin to the smashed garlic. Using the flat of a chefs knife, mash the salt, cumin and garlic into a coarse paste with all ingredients evenly distributed. You may have to get things started with the blade.
2) Time to bring out the Slasher inside!:laugh: Using a 4" pairing knife, make deep holes in the roast, driving it to the hilt and turning it 180 degrees, turning the roast to hit all sides.
3) Using your fingers, rub the roast with the paste, making sure to shove it into the holes. Any leftover paste should be slathered all over the roast.
4) In a plastic bag large enough to hold the roast, open the bag and lay it on one side. I do this in a baking pan just in case there is spillage.
5) Spread the onion slices in the flattened bag, being sure to cover the bag, but leaving about 2" clear at the opening.
6) Place the roast on the onion layer. Then lifting the open end up, pour the juice over the roast. Seal the bag and fold it up to make sure the roast is surrounded by the juice. You will have to "Burp" any air out. Place the roast, in the pan, in the fridge and marinate overnight.
7) Remove the roast from the marinade, setting it in the pan to warm up. Reserve the marinade.
8) Preheat the oven to 225F.
9) Wrap the roast in the banana leaves or heavy duty foil. Place on a cookie sheet or roasting pan.
10) Place the roast in the oven and cook until the internal temperature hits 198F to 205F. Remove and let rest until cool enough to handle.
11) using your fingers or a couple of forks, "pull" or shred the meat apart.

The Mojo
You must be very careful and expect splatter when making this as you will be adding liquid to hot oil!
1)On medium-high, heat the oil In a large sauce pan.
2) When the oil starts to shimmer, add the reserved marinade. Again be very careful!
3) Once the cauldron settles down, bring to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.
The Mojo can be served warm or at room temperature.
36788-albums309-picture7180.jpg

36788-albums309-picture7178.jpg

36788-albums309-picture7179.jpg

Last edited:
I'll definitely try this when the snow melts...I wish I had a Big Green Egg, but I think my smoker will do the job. Thanks for posting!

for me, there is no better smell than freshly ground cumin
I'm also a big fan. This is an ingredient that finds its way into a number of things that I make, even though I rarely build a recipe around it.

We make quite a bit of Cuban food. This roast, using pork butt, will make several different meals. We have it as is with black beans, rice, tostones or maduros and I have yucca con mojo. It is also used for Cuban sandwiches and Media Noches. Both are pressed sandwiches. This is a very simple recipe with few but flavorful ingredients. I have given amounts for the cumin and salt, but I really don't measure. This can be done in an oven, but I prefer the BGE.

Ingredients
Enough sour oranges for 2 cups of juice or 1 cup orange juice and 1 cup lime juice
2 - tsp Freshly toasted and ground cumin (for me, there is no better smell than freshly ground cumin)
1-1/2 Tbsp Kosher salt

Directions
1) On a cutting board, add salt and cumin to the smashed garlic. Using the flat of a chefs knife, mash the salt, cumin and garlic into a coarse paste with all ingredients evenly distributed. You may have to get things started with the blade.
2) Time to bring out the Slasher inside!:laugh: Using a 4" pairing knife, make deep holes in the roast, driving it to the hilt and turning it 180 degrees, turning the roast to hit all sides.
3) Using your fingers, rub the roast with the paste, making sure to shove it into the holes. Any leftover paste should be slathered all over the roast.
4) In a plastic bag large enough to hold the roast, open the bag and lay it on one side. I do this in a baking pan just in case there is spillage.
5) Spread the onion slices in the flattened bag, being sure to cover the bag, but leaving about 2" clear at the opening.
6) Place the roast on the onion layer. Then lifting the open end up, pour the juice over the roast. Seal the bag and fold it up to make sure the roast is surrounded by the juice. You will have to "Burp" any air out. Place the roast, in the pan, in the fridge and marinate overnight.
7) Remove the roast from the marinade, setting it in the pan to warm up. Reserve the marinade.
9) Wrap the roast in the banana leaves or heavy duty foil. Place on a cookie sheet or roasting pan.
10) Place the roast in the oven and cook until the internal temperature hits 198F to 205F. Remove and let rest until cool enough to handle.

The Mojo
You must be very careful and expect splatter when making this as you will be adding liquid to hot oil!
2) When the oil starts to shimmer, add the reserved marinade. Again be very careful!
36788-albums309-picture7180.jpg

36788-albums309-picture7178.jpg

36788-albums309-picture7179.jpg

Boy!!

That looks so good!! I'll give it a whirl sometime this winter! A nice Sunday dinner, maybe, with a veggie, starch & a small banana pudding for desert!! :wink:

Boy!!

That looks so good!! I'll give it a whirl sometime this winter! A nice Sunday dinner, maybe, with a veggie, starch & a small banana pudding for desert!! :wink:
Keeping it Cuban, yucca is a starch and flan would be a perfect dessert. Maybe a couple coladas to go with.

Ingredients
1-1/2 Tbsp Kosher salt

Directions

The Mojo
View attachment 26495

View attachment 26496

View attachment 26497

Great recipe Craig, cumin should be another thread. I too love the smell of cumin coriander and fennel seeds for Garam masala. I toast then grind. I LOVE the smell so much.

Russ

We also make a pot roast similar to this. I usually use purchased mojo mixed with water and/or chicken stock, ratio of 75% mojo and the rest water and/or chicken stock. Then, just cook it like a pot roast. You can use a bone-in or deboned butt or shoulder. You can add yuca or potatoes and/or carrots if you want, or any other veges you would normally add to a pot roast.

We use the leftovers of both methods to make Cuban sandwiches and/or a couscous (or orzo) meal salad with corn, black beans, red bells, onions, and a red wine vinegar vinaigrette.

Back
Top Bottom